Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

PLEASE READ I need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Starting Member
graigoryenglish is on a distinguished road
Default PLEASE READ I need help!!!

okay so here is my problem. i was driving to my cousins house and i was on a side street. as i was slowing down my truck died and compleatly locked up on me nothing worked. it finally stopped i put it in park and then started it up and drove off. while i was on a different side street i was turning a corner it spuddered and died again this time it didnt crank when i turned the key it just clicks. so my cousin finds me chilling in the middle of the road after looking at it for a while he gets under and starts it manually the whole time i was driving to his house i felt like it was going to die when i hit on the brakes. all the wires are connected and when i went to leave it started up multiple times but died when i was backing it out. and then died again when i stopped at a stop sign but this time i had to get out and get under and start it myself, it died once again driving home, then it died before i compleatly stopped at my house, i went out today started it it started then died and now it just does the clicking again
i have a 1979 k-5 blazer 350 engine with a 350 turbo
can anyone help??

Old 11-15-2013, 11:55 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

Maybe a short in the electrical system? Do the lights flicker at all? Engine, chassis and cab not grounded properly?

Old 11-16-2013, 12:01 AM
Starting Member
graigoryenglish is on a distinguished road

the head and fog lights still work and the inside lights work. but my dash lights have not worked for a while. and i have no idea this is my first car and im learning as i go.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Starting Member
Jonas is on a distinguished road

if you give it some gas in neutral will it still die?
i had similar problems where it would run but really bad, as soon as i let go of the gas pedal it would die.

turned out to be a bad ground to the engine block.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Beginning Member
Danielsmith914 is on a distinguished road

crank position sensor?

Old 11-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by graigoryenglish
okay so here is my problem. i was driving to my cousins house and i was on a side street. as i was slowing down my truck died and compleatly locked up on me nothing worked. it finally stopped i put it in park and then started it up and drove off. while i was on a different side street i was turning a corner it spuddered and died again this time it didnt crank when i turned the key it just clicks. so my cousin finds me chilling in the middle of the road after looking at it for a while he gets under and starts it manually the whole time i was driving to his house i felt like it was going to die when i hit on the brakes. all the wires are connected and when i went to leave it started up multiple times but died when i was backing it out. and then died again when i stopped at a stop sign but this time i had to get out and get under and start it myself, it died once again driving home, then it died before i compleatly stopped at my house, i went out today started it it started then died and now it just does the clicking again
i have a 1979 k-5 blazer 350 engine with a 350 turbo
can anyone help??

I think part of the trouble might be in the carburetor. However, let's troubleshoot it a little bit. First off, open the hood. Start the truck and with your left foot FIRMLY on the brake, give it some throttle. It won't take much. Watch the air cleaner. Does it come up and towards the passenger side? If not, fine. If it does, you have a busted motor mount. That could be pulling wires loose.

Now, since you've restarted it, it didn't lock up. If you lock the engine up, you have a large, solid pice of metal under the hood. Another poster mentioned a ground problem. You MUST have at least one heavy ground cable from the engine to the negative post on the battery. You should also have at least a couple of chassis to engine grounds. There's usually one black wire to the negative cable as well as a couple of ground straps from the engine block to the firewall.

Get yourself a test light or digital volt/ohm meter. This way you can look to see where you have power and where you don't. Look for some wires that have been put together with electrical tape. Factory wiring is cut to exact lengths and use connectors. The most common place I've seen jack leg wiring on something like your truck is the distributor connection. The first thing I would do is wiggle the plug on the side of the distributor cap (drivers side and comes up from underneath) and press it in. If it slips loose, it's like shutting the engine off. Next, I'd check the wiring at the starter. All the power goes through the starter solenoid. If the wires look worn or loose, correct it.

As for the dash lights, have you tried turning the **** on the headlight switch? I bought a car once and the seller said they hadn't worked in years. Somebody had turned the dimmer all the way down. When you turn them all the way up, it comes to a notch. Into the notch turns your courtesy light in the headliner on.