Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Probably a dumb question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:26 AM
Beginning Member
HiRidinChevy93 is on a distinguished road
Default Probably a dumb question...

When I shifting this thing into 4x4, I hear a grinding noise. From going to neutral to 2wd or 4lo is the only time it happens. I shift trans in neutral or park. Remind u that the truck isn't moving, I don't under stand why it would be grinding. I can cut the truck off and it wont happen. From my know how if the trans its turning it shouldn't be grinding! I'm going to get a book on it today and do some research! Oh and I haven't been able to get my 4x4 light to come on! Maybe yall can point in the direction to start looking! oh first time I shift to 4x4 the light flickerd for a sec, that might help with a diagnoses!

93 FULLSIZE CHEVY BLAZER!

Old 02-15-2011, 08:17 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

even in neutral transmissions seem to spin a bit. i see it all the time when i have cars up on the car lift. theres just a little bit of friction inside the trans to get it to run, kinda like how a front axle will turn a bit when the hubs are locked on a fullsize.

but i know exactly what you are talking about. i had a k5 blazer that was the same way. it would grind so bad i couldnt even get it to shift into gear but that was the only other truck ive had that did that all my other ones never had that issue. but as you said i would just shut the truck off then shift it into gear and be on my way

Old 02-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Beginning Member
HiRidinChevy93 is on a distinguished road
Default Good Deal!

Least I know thats not a problem anymore! Now I just have to find out why the front hubs wont lock in! Oh did I mention this truck had 306,000 miles on it. Its all factory under the hood! "Like it has all the air box plastic connecting it to the fender, and the heater hose that connects the exhaust to the air box" I couldn't believe it. I was cleaning it out to day and checked the jack and tire and it was all there to! Someone has took good care of this SUV, and I will do the same!

Last edited by HiRidinChevy93; 02-15-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:19 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

yeah, i wouldn't worry about it too much.

i had one of my truck i built, do the same thing as your truck. i just shut it off whenever i needed to put it in 4LO.

only truck i've ever felt was the smoothest was my '92 Jimmy. mainly because it was stick, so i'd just leave it in gear, press the clutch, and then shift the (manual) t-case into 4LO.

luv'd that truck. could drive along in 5th gear in LO range, and without stopping, shift into HI range, with only pushing in the clutch.

i've even heard my '98 make the odd little squak the odd time, and it's electronic shift.