Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

radiator

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Starting Member
ericthughes is on a distinguished road
Default radiator

hey my radiator in my 78 k5 bzer has a leak by the trans. cooling lines i went and bought a new radiator and the tanks were plastic i dont wanna swap out a metal radiator for a plastic one .where would i find a new radiator thats all metal ..or should i try to get mine fixed?cant find nothin online that dont have plastic .any suggestions would help
thanks yall

Old 09-08-2012, 02:40 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i think everyone is going to plastic. i ran into the same thing years ago. you can possibly bring it to a radiator shop if those even exist anymore and see if they can fix it. ive done that in the past like 12 years ago. i really dont see the plastic radiators themself fail, usually they leak where they press them to the aluminum. i still have a copper/brass one in my 86 that is getting kinda old but itll get a plastic one when it goes i guess.

you can try junkyard ones, but last time i did that the radiator lasted 4-5 months til it started leaking

Old 09-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Starting Member

yeh it seems like everyones got a plastic one i was also worrying about them failing at the seam there oh well i guess ill put it in and bring my old one to a shop see what they can do never hurts to have a back up ..plastic just seems strange to me though.i just need to make it up to my uncles shoip in the mountains to use his lift to put the truck lift in i just got

Old 09-08-2012, 05:01 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I just did a search on ebay "1973 K5 blazer radiator" & lots came up under $200, all aluminum & some stock, racing etc.

For instance: 1973-91 Chevrolet K5 Blazer/Jimmy/Suburban All Aluminum Champion Radiator CC716 | eBay
Has the trans cooler but not the engine oil cooler.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Starting Member

yeh ya know what i just found one on jc whitney for the same price as the plastic one is says Without engine oil cooler is that fine?all aluminum

Old 09-08-2012, 08:18 PM
BF Veteran

You need the engine oil cooler. However, I got the Automatic Transmission Super Cooler – 9,800 BTU rated – 11″x5-3/4″x3/4″ | B&M Racing and Performance Products
for my trans I had rebuilt/upgraded. It has on the box that it's also for engine oil.<EDIT> also found this one which does state it's for engine oil as well. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70273/
If you search around like Jegs etc you'll find that in the literature online.
My experience with them is great, except do not use the crappy hose clamps that come with the kit. Replace them with fuel injection line clamps (the ones with the nut & bolt).
B&M Also had a dedicated engine oil cooler. B&M is very well known & respected for their coolers.

Last edited by Rottidog; 09-08-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Starting Member

im confused this is what i ordered

4-row
28.25 x 17 x 2.5 in. core size
1.6 in. inlet and outlet size
3.5 x 18.63 in. top and bottom header
With transmission oil cooler
Without engine oil cooler
All aluminum material
this wont work???

Old 09-09-2012, 12:04 PM
BF Veteran

You have to measure the core size (where the fins are) & the overall size of the rad in there now.
Measure the inlet & outlet sizes & note there position on the rad. Upper DS inlet, lower PS outlet or where ever they're located etc, how it mounts.

I don't know what rad you have in there now but you should get all that info & search for rads that will fit.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Starting Member

yeh that one fits but i dont know what the engine oil cool is or where its at or if i need thta or what?

Old 09-09-2012, 01:30 PM
BF Veteran

Take a picture of the rad from inside the engine compartment if you can.
I'd think the rad would have 2 trans cooler lines, 2 coolant hoses, an overflow hose & 2 lines for the engine oil.

Quick Reply: radiator