Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Is Radiator Fan always supposed to Run?

Old 02-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Beginning Member
sinbig is on a distinguished road
Default Is Radiator Fan always supposed to Run?

As the title suggests.
Got a 93 chevy blazer k1500 I picked up about a year ago. I hadn't paid much attention to it as it's pretty much only used every once in a blue moon. Well anyways. The heater didn't work so I thought one day I would get that going. I had a small leak of coolant on the passenger side compartment so first thing I did was replace the heater core. Easy enough. Still no heat. So then I went ahead and checked the thermostat. It was installed upside down? Well flipped it over, and engine temps go up to about 180/190 before dropping down to about 130 but still no heat in the cab. Thought maybe I had air trapped inside the system so I let it burp for a good 30 minutes but still no heat. Well feeling the hoses attached to the core I realized that both of them were pretty cool to the touch even after a good time of running the heater o I went ahead and pulled the water pump thinking that it might not be circulating any fluid but the fins on it look good and it spins freely without any noise. I know fluids getting to the core but for some reason it's just not getting hot.

So the only other thing I can think of and the only other thing that has bothered me is that the radiator fan is always on. From the minute I start it it's turning. I was wondering if this is normal and if not what might be causing it to always be on?

Even though winters over I still would like to get the heat worked out since I have put all this time into it.

Thanks for any help.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:58 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

it will always turn, there will be a few ways to tell if its bad, google "how to check if your fan clutch is bad" will come up with a few diagnosis procedures to check if it is bad or not.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

if its making a bunch of noise after the engine has warmed up, then it probably needs a new fan clutch. when you start it first thing in the morning and its really loud, if it sounds like that half way through the day and you arent running hot, then you will more or less know for sure. but you should be able to look something up on youtube. its hard to diagnose a fan without actually being there. best of luck.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:10 PM
Beginning Member

Clutch fan seems okay.
I'm still trying to figure out the no heat issue though.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:59 AM
swanman35 is on a distinguished road

Are you leaking coolant?

Old 02-20-2013, 07:03 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

air in the system?

Old 02-20-2013, 07:17 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I pulled mine and put in an electric fan, truck warms up much faster now

Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Beginning Member

Not that I can tell But the upper rad hose wasn't pressurizing. I'm going to install a new thermostat gasket tonight and burp it again and see if that helps.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:55 AM
70-K5 is on a distinguished road

it heats up to operating temperature then cools back down to 130*? That ain't right....

Old 02-20-2013, 12:05 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Themostatxstuck open

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Radiator Fan always supposed to Run?