Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Squeaky Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:40 PM
Starting Member
Capt-K5 is on a distinguished road
Default Squeaky Brakes

I have a 1987 Chevy K5, I recently had new brakes put on all the way around , new rotors , drums were good , new pad , and all the hardware. I get a squeak, a repeated squek in the right rear. I took it back to the shop where I had the brakes done, they lubed it up, now 3 weeks later the squeak is back. Now when i apply even the smallest amount of pressure on the brake pedal, the squeak stops. Any suggestions?

Old 07-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of pads did they use? Could be hard pad materials and a little bit of drag.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
What kind of pads did they use? Could be hard pad materials and a little bit of drag.

the rear are drums its weird it almost sounds like something is loose but its not

Old 07-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok... Pads/shoes, whatever...

Then what kind of shoes did they use... Too hard of a material and they will squeak/squeal more.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Ok... Pads/shoes, whatever...

Then what kind of shoes did they use... Too hard of a material and they will squeak/squeal more.

even when im not applying pressure?

Old 07-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Starting Member

Im not sure what they are, I will find out this evening and let you know
swartlkk. I really do appreciate your time, ill get that info for you shortly. Thank You

Old 09-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Beginning Member
gadyck@hotmail.com is on a distinguished road

i had same prob aft i did my brakes and rotors turned out to b ball joint

Old 09-06-2011, 01:43 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gadyck@hotmail.com
i had same prob aft i did my brakes and rotors turned out to b ball joint

the rear don't have ball joints

Old 09-06-2011, 05:11 AM
ramapge is on a distinguished road

How did they 'lube up' the brakes? Never heard of anyone doing that before. I'm guessing either the shop you went to used cheap pads or they weren't broken in correctly and developed a glaze on them. Shops will, more often than not, use cheap parts and mark up the price on you. What you should do is buy quality parts and bring them in to have them installed. A good shop doesn't mind you doing this. Shouldn't cost that much more, if any, than if the shop uses their cheap marked-up parts. Did you break in the pads correctly? The shop should have given you instructions on how to do it or the manufacturer of the pads will have it listed on their site. It's basically a series of decelerations at highway speeds and allowing them to cool in between. Also, try to avoid sudden stops for the first 500 miles. That's just a guideline, but like I said, check with the manufacture of the pads to see how they want you to do it.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:57 PM
Starting Member
Z71_Guy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ramapge
How did they 'lube up' the brakes?
to lube the brakes means that you put high temp brake grease where the sides of the shoes touch the backing plate. we use it anywhere there would be metal on metal touching pivot points ect.

even when im not applying pressure?
yes even when your not touching the brakes the shoes/pads touch the drum/rotor a little bit. a hard pad can cause a squeak while it lightly drags on the surface.
it could also be caused by the drum if they did not resurface them or they did a poor job resurfacing them

Quick Reply: Squeaky Brakes