Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

steering binding to the right

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 06:12 PM
litterbug will become famous soon enough
Default steering binding to the right

so with my new 86, the steering is fine to the left. the power steering works and all but when i go to turn right it only goes like halfway or so then stops. i know the truck has about a 6in lift. could this be a problem and some thing is binding with the steering? i have no clue what to look at first.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:17 PM
ramapge is on a distinguished road

When you lift it that much you need to correct for steering geometry. You probably have some pretty bad bump steer also. You need to install a raised steering arm to correct the problem.
This is what I have.

Last edited by ramapge; 11-02-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:27 PM

i think my 74 has a raised one. all i know is that it looks new compared to all the other steering parts so im trying to take that off now. i cant get it off those 3 bolts though. any tips? besides a sledge.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:40 PM

Spray the bolts and where it connects to the knuckle with PB Blaster. Do that several times over a few days to let it soak in. Yours is probably fused on with rust. Then hit the steering arm with a 2 lb sledge where you see numbers cast into the arm, just before the hole for the drag link. If it doesn't pop loose then get a bigger sledge or swing like a man.

Just re-read your post. Those aren't bolts, they're studs, like you see at the bottom of the page of the link I posted earlier.

Last edited by ramapge; 11-02-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:42 PM

haha. but you think this will allow me to steer to the right all the way? i thought maybe my power steering pump might be bad or something like that but it seems to work fine in the other direction.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:47 PM

Without being there to actually see it I'd say that's the most likely culprit. If, when you hit a bump and the steering wheel gets jerked out of your hand then it's definitely the problem. People take shortcuts and save $$ when they buy a lift kit. I'm guessing the transfer case wasn't dropped or driveshaft wasn't lengthened (vibrations), but hopefully the flexible brake lines were extended.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:51 AM

i dont drive it on the street so i dont really know yet. the transfer case was dropped. there is a little tube steel between the frame and the cross member. the driveshaft is off in the front and i have a new one i have to get shortened. and the brake lines are legenthened. i checked most of that stuff. the only thing that concerns me is that the cross member for the t-case is cracked right in the middle. they even welded a piece of metal for a support but it still cracked that too. its only the front half thats cracked but i know this is still dangerous. im thinking about taking the brace out of the 74 i have to see if it can be transfered. the one on the 74 has upper brace mounts that my 86 doesnt have. that might be the reason it cracked.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:13 AM
Starting Member
Z71_Guy is on a distinguished road

possibly your steering stabilizer is installed wrong and bottoming out before you get to full lock

Old 11-03-2011, 10:32 PM

i took it off. just to be sure and its still doing it. im trying to take the old one off by soaking it with pb on the other one but it looks as if the one on the truck might have more lift. ill have to have someone turn the wheel while i lay under the car and see whats up.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:42 PM

so i took off the steering arm on the new k5 and it still wouldnt turn all the way to the right so what i am trying to do is slide the gear off the shaft of the power steering pump and get the wheel in the middle that way i have even turning abilities to the left and right, then sliding it back on the shaft and re tightning. im having a hell of a time getting the clamp to undue from the power steering pump though. even a gear puller wont do it. im thinking about just taking the one out of the 74 and slapping it on there. god i hate rusty old trucks.