Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Tailgate window motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 11:50 PM
Def87k5 is on a distinguished road
Default Tailgate window motor

I just picked up a 87 k5.The rear window was missing the motor and the wires were cut i also have a L shaped rod with an L shaped end on each side i know where it goes but not what it does or connects to at the ends and i found a spring about 2 inches or so long. i have a new motor. i can make the window go up and down with a drill and open the tail gate. Main question is where does the motor mount and what else am i missing? i can find no pictures or good diagrams. Any pictures or something would be awesome.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have a complete power tailgate sitting in my shed, but I'm not hauling that out of there anytime soon, sorry.

I thought I had an exploded view somewhere, but I can't find it anymore...

I believe the motor itself bolts on up at the top of the tailgate just to the driver side of center.

The rods/etc that you mention sound like they are part of the lockout mechanism that makes it so the tailgate cannot be unlatched without the window being all the way down.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:52 PM

ok but if i connect the motor to the cable it only goes a little over half way up the tailgate and the threaded holes in the motor dont line up anywhere, am i missing a bracket? thanks

Old 01-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe take a picture of what you have on the motor as well as your tailgate?

You may not have everything adjusted properly and something may bind half way up.

Another possibility is a weak spring in the window regulator. The spring helps the window up.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:11 PM

I can roll the window up and down with a drill with no problem, i just dont know where the motor mounts. I cant find pictures of what one should look like. i found a 83 suburban at the junkyard and it had a different setup, it had the motor mounted on the regulator on the right side with no cable.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:24 AM
Beginning Member
agb1976 is on a distinguished road

I think the Suburban and K5 tailgate is similar, Lmc truck has some what of a picture if that might help, pg 24 and 25 in the blazer catalog. http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/bzc/full.aspx?Page=24

good luck

Old 01-12-2011, 12:14 PM

ya i saw that one but none show where the motor mounts

Old 01-14-2011, 11:17 PM

K i found it on a video titeled k5 blazer tailgate-update. im missing the motor bracket.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:32 PM

Does anyone know where i can get one i cant find it anywhere?

Old 01-17-2011, 06:43 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

id say junkyard but its hard to find these things in the junkyards anymore. i just checked ebay and didnt see any

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

looks like autozone sells the complete assembly

Quick Reply: Tailgate window motor