Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Tire shop said my 4x4 Yolk was bad, auto parts wanted to know...

Old 01-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Beginning Member
blbikerood is on a distinguished road

What type?? I don't have a clue. Tire guy thought H type but told me to go ahead and order all 3! SO he didn't know anymore than I did. Is it a big deal to change these things out and is it sign something worse could be at stake??

With the yoke being bad is it still ok to put it in 4x4 till it goes out completely or should i avoid 4x4 all together??

Last edited by rriddle3; 01-30-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 01-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Beginning Member
Smile Bad news! Tried to get out of snow covered driveway and front drive shaft fell out!!

Tire shop said the yoke might need replaced, I locked the hubs put it in 4high had a bunch of clunking and then the shaft fell out. After about 45min I was able to move it 10ft and into the garage. I realize I can take off the shaft and drive the truck in 2 wheel drive, but as I"ve never done this, how do i get it off. It came off at the front of the truck and appears it just came off the threads. Also where can I buy what I need and what is the proper term for it. Thanks for the help!

Old 01-30-2010, 03:59 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*Combining Threads*
Please keep posts pertaining to the same issue all in one thread so folks can follow the progress and know the whole situation.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

what year

Old 01-30-2010, 08:25 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Bring it to a driveshaft shop see if it can be fixed. 7/16 bolts at the axle and i think 5/8ths at the transfercase. If its not draggin the ground. Put it in 2x4 and drive it. Or tie it up if its to cold to deal with it

Old 01-31-2010, 08:57 AM
Beginning Member
Default May tie it up...

Nearest drive shaft shop is 80 miles. I hope my local transmission shop can do it??

Old 01-31-2010, 05:33 PM
Beginning Member
Smile Tied that bad boy up and got it to a friends shop and on a rack....

I understand more about these now. The drive shaft came out of the front diff. To me the yoke appears ok, but I am missing that nut that goes on the front diff, and all 3 u joints will need replaced. Of course the seal. I hope a local shop will have that nut, if not does anyone know where to order one?? The slip yoke seemed to work as it should. I took the entire shaft off with the four bolts that bolt into the xfer case, but it took an impact, and it bogged the impact down. So at least now I can drive it, just not very well in the snow!

Old 01-31-2010, 09:30 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

you pulled the yolk out of the axle? cool. i wonder if something else is jacked up in there. those bolts are lock nuts and shouldnt just fall off. if worse comes to worse youll need a new ring and pinion. or better yet its a 10 bolt axle you can pick one up for $100 anywhere

Old 01-31-2010, 10:31 PM
Beginning Member
Default well as far as...

Looking at it, The front axle appears ok. Looks as if a seal and u joints will fix it. I should know tommorow if I can find that nut.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:43 PM
hubert hefner is on a distinguished road

you should be able to find a nut, might check the local junkyard.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire shop said my 4x4 Yolk was bad, auto parts wanted to know...