Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Unbelievable - my wheel studs broke...DRIVING

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Beginning Member
Quicksilver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unbelievable - my wheel studs broke...DRIVING

I posted in the General Forum a couple of week ago that I bought a 1977 K5 Blazer. I haven't been driving it much because I haven't gotten insurance on it yet - maybe twice in the past two weeks. So I'm out on the highway today and the front driver side justdrops to the ground - I assume I just had a flat until I steered towards the shoulder......when mywheel passed me. Anyway - I get the truck under control,pull off the road onto the shoulder, and call a friend of mine. We end up (after 3 trips to Advance Auto) getting the truck fixed. Everything seems to run just fine....although I havea flat spot on the rotor now. My only question is whether or not I could have torn up anythign else in the process - I'm concerned that I may have bent the frame or the body when the truck dropped at that angle (the spare tire carrier was hard to get open - I'm afraid because the body was twisted). I tend to be the paranoid type when it comes to my vehicles - what else could possibly have happened as a consequence of the tire coming off?

Old 11-05-2008, 06:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Unbelievable - my wheel studs broke...DRIVING

Other than a messed up rotor, you probably did nothing else to the truck.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:50 PM
Beginning Member
Quicksilver is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Kyle - that's a load off my mind really. I guess it's my fault for not checking everything out since I've bought it so I do feel like a total jackass. At least nothing was hurt but my pride. But yeah, more than anything I'm just glad that there isn't anything else I really need to worry about having broken.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:19 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Pics? I'm kinda curious to see what the rotor looks like

Did the hub seperate/break? Or did all 6 studs break at once?!

Old 01-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Beginning Member
dcn427 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an 89 blazer that just had the same thing happen to me. any one know who to take the rotor off to replace the studs?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:47 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Did you have and bent parts or other broken pieces? Or is it all there, just minus a stud..

Old 01-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Beginning Member

did not know if your referring to me or not so ill reply, the rotor is in great shape, just need the studs replaced i have been told i done need to remove it but wanna ask people who actually own a k5 and not the S10 people

Old 01-16-2009, 07:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With a SFA up front, very little happens when a wheel falls off.

Since the rotor is part of the whole hub assembly, you should not have any real problems that could not be dismissed with a visual check.

And I would not be so quick to classify those of us here as just "S10 people" or even that the opinions of people who do not own a fullsize truck are any less important or relevant than someone who does. I will snap some pictures later today to show you why (or you could just click on the link in my sig). The pics I snap later will show you how you can replace the studs.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:27 PM
Beginning Member

i have nothing against the s10's only when i tell the guys at the auto parts sore its a full size blazer and thet keep handing me all this stuff trying to convince me its what i need and the screen reads s10 on it.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:38 PM
JTECK is an unknown quantity at this point

I tend to be the paranoid type when it comes to my vehicles
???? then what were you doing driving with out insurance?? your lucky you did not hit or kill anyone!.

besides that when a wheel comes off it dose no damage to anything but the rotor.... frames and bodys are ment to flex... if they did not flex they would crack!.

the truck will be fine... BUT GET SOME INSURANCE AND A FLIPPING SAFTY!!!!

I always wondered why I pay so much to insurance company.... maybe it has something to do with all the people driving with out insurance????

Quick Reply: Unbelievable - my wheel studs broke...DRIVING