Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Where is the fuel filter?

Old 06-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Beginning Member
Jessica Lipka is on a distinguished road
Default Where is the fuel filter?

91 K5 350 V8 It wouldn't start so I used some starting fluid and it started then stopped. Wanted to check the filter before I start drilling holes in the floor to replace the pump, but I can't find it! I went around the entire underside and did not see the aluminum canister that is supposed to be there. Anyone have any specific directions to find this thing?

Old 06-09-2013, 08:07 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

the fuel injected p/u's where on the inside of the frame rail, think drivers side but cant remember for sure
I assume your K5 is fuel injected
The only K5's I ever seen here were diesel

Last edited by rexazz2; 06-09-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Beginning Member

maybe its not a K5. I was only told it was.....

Old 06-09-2013, 10:25 PM

The full size blazers were refered to as a K5
I knew 2 people that had them and both were diesel but would guess the diesels were somewhat rare
I tried searching yours and it shows it was available as a 350 gasser
The late 80's early 90's GM seemed to do a little mixing and matching body styles depending on weight class IE 1/2 3/4 or 1ton chassis
I suspect your 91 Blazer has butterfly windows(old body style) however the 91 p/u's were the newer body style
If I remember right some were carbureted others were fuel injected , that why I asked what yours is

Old 06-10-2013, 09:47 AM
Beginning Member

Mine is actually TBI. It was given to me after my father in law passed away so I never really got to talk to him about it. It also says Silverado on it which was confusing even after I looked it up. Knowing my father in law, it very likely he could have mixed and matched or jerry rigged the engine, much like he did with some of the wiring. The horn broke so he hooked up a switch, grounded it to the car and ran it thru the fuse box. I have even less electrical knowledge then I do mechanical. But I like doing it. Always... the fuel pump is most likely the culprit so when I'm replacing that I'm sure I'll find the filter too and get that done as well. Hopefully there is already a hole cut in the back

Old 06-10-2013, 11:12 AM

now you got me really curious
By that year it should have been TBI but like I said GM didn't do a complete change on trucks
I worked in a parts store back then and it often caused confusion
please post a picture of the truck when you got a minute

Last edited by rexazz2; 06-10-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:38 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

if its a actual k5 it should have the removable fiberglass top in the back. and yeah it should be a TBI set up but if you got it used its possible someone put a older engine with a carb on it. my 90 pick up truck has the fuel filter along the driverside frame.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 AM
70-K5 is on a distinguished road

Start at the fuel tank. Follow the lines that should branch off to the passenger side frame rail. From there they run up the frame rail to the side of the engine.

The "Silverado" is simply a trim package, prior to a truck actually carrying that name as a full model. K5 Blazers which were in production from 1969 - 1991. GM did make a full size Blazer from 1992-1995 however they are not K5's. The later models do not have removable caps, do not have solid front axles, have driver side drop transfer cases... basically have no part interchangeability.

What do you know about the vehicle health besides it won't start? Can you hear the electric pump prime when you hit the key?

Old 06-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Beginning Member

No... I listened for the "wine" you're supposed to hear and I heard nothing. A neighbor banged on the tank and that did nothing. So a friend of mine is gonna help me replace the fuel pump and while we're at it the fuel filter and any lines that are shot. Seems a good idea as old as the truck is and it's condition.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:05 PM
Beginning Member

I also put up some pics...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is the fuel filter?