Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Wire Check Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:39 PM
Beginning Member
WarrenC is on a distinguished road
Default Wire Check Please

Im wondering if someone with a late 70's automatic (mine is a 78) rig can check on the bottom of their steering column for me and look at the neutral safety switch there is 2 plugs that go onto it. One is a Green and purple connection smaller wires which i believe are for your backup lights. The other is a thicker yellow and purple combo which i believe leads to your solonoid on the starter.

I just need to on the green/purple connector which wire is on the left side when its plugged into the switch?

And secondly which wire in the bigger yellow/purple connector is on the top when its plugged into the switch?

I would be VERY VERY VERY (did i say very???) appreciative if someone can post this for me. I have looked all over the intraweb for my answers and my hands are still empty.

Last edited by WarrenC; 10-17-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I will try to take a look under the dash in my '74. I probably won't have a chance to look at it until tomorrow after work though.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:15 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

kind of a stupid question but does it matter? the switch just connects the two wires together i kinda wonder if it matters what wire connects to what

Old 10-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The larger wires on my NSS are both purple, but one has a white tracer. When disconnected, I could not start the truck. With mine, the purple with white tracer was on top.

As abig84 stated though, it shouldn't really matter.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by abig84
kind of a stupid question but does it matter? the switch just connects the two wires together i kinda wonder if it matters what wire connects to what
Im pretty sure it mattersl one is possitive "in" and one is "out" the one thats out goes to the solnoid which supplies a current that activates it to engage the starter, that switch completes a positive circuit. Neither one of mine have power right now whether the ignition is on or not and nice to know i dont have it plugged in upside down because its in a tight spot i have to undo my column just to plug it in. But them again i could be out of my mind im no wiring expert ill tell you that much this is a pain in the ****

Here is some diagrams might help someone....they are from a diesel but the diagrams are exactly what i needed.

Last edited by WarrenC; 10-19-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:36 AM
Administrator

It doesn't matter since the NSS just closes those contacts when in neutral or park.

Based on the first wiring diagram, the yellow wire is on top. The purple wire goes out to the starter.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Beginning Member

Ya i see what you are saying makes sense now that i think about it im retarded when it comes to wiring its not my cup of tea lol. Anyway i figured out what the deal was all along why i had no power to my yellow wire. The ignition switch needed to be moved just slightly so the actuator was in the right spot to give the yellow wire power when the key is in the start position. Thanks for your assistance i appreciate it :P Ill say it one more time i hate wiring lol im just happy i got it figured out, hopefully tommorow before work i can put everything back together, although the camary's gas mileage was a nice treat for a few days i <3 my truck.