Full Size K5 (1969-1991) GMT415 (1992-1994) Tech Discuss any and all full size K5 general tech topics here.

Yolk Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 02:38 PM
Beginning Member
scrmmealuvsong22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yolk Question

today i was driving and my driveshaft fell out from the yolk the bolt that holds the strap to hold the caps on the u joint broke off in the yolk also the strap corner seemed to have chipped off as u can see from the picture

http://img74.imageshack.us/my.php?im...3091428nh1.jpg

Now my question is should i even bother trying to drill the bolt out or would it be easier to buy a new one since i found one use for 35 and new for 160 from LMC TRUCK?

also is the strap reusable even with the chipped corner and would my local NAPA sell the strap if it isnt usable?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Yolk Question

Looks like the strap is bent as well. I would look into getting some replacements before you put everything back together again.

So you broke off a bolt? Have you tried bolt extractors yet?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Beginning Member

nah not year i been having trouble with the rear driveshaft at first it was dropped out a rear u joint figured it was **** instalation so i put a new one in self and drove for about two day maybe 60 miles if that and the ear on my driveshaft broke off so i called my local gm dealer who said they disscontinued the rear driveshafts so i called all the salvage years couldnt find nothin till i got ahold of JUST CHEVY in maine who had a used driveshaft off a 88 Blazer so i bought it got it here got in balance installed it and i drove for the last month put probably 1500 miles on it and then this happened.
*COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS*
i didnt break the bolt taking it off either thats why i lost the cap and my driveshaft fell out was because the one bolt broke off that picture was taking about 15 min after it happened i pulled the drive shaft out and putt it in 4x4 since it wasnt leakin no fluid and drove it to my friends house right down the street from were it happened

Old 01-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Beginning Member

i didnt break the bolt taking it off either thats why i lost the cap and my driveshaft fell out was because the one bolt broke off that picture was taking about 15 min after it happened i pulled the drive shaft out and putt it in 4x4 since it wasnt leakin no fluid and drove it to my friends house right down the street from were it happened

Old 01-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You are a bit all over the place... Nothing broke, then something broke... What exactly happened. Slow down and give a clear concise explanation so that we can help you.

If you think that the yoke which is connected to the pinion shaft on the rear axle is damaged, then you should source a replacement. A used one should work for you.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Beginning Member

the picture explains it better than me trying to

http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?i...9139680ef5.jpg

i just want to know is it worth me trying drill out the broken bolt or just replace the yolk

Old 01-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Administrator

I refer back to my previous statement about attempting to use bolt extractors to remove the broken portion of the bolt. If you cannot do that, your only other option is to replace the yoke. That is not as easy as it sounds though and you can screw up the pinion preload if care is not taken. If this is something you want to do, I can detail it for you.

In terms of whether to get a used yoke or a new one, that is all up to how much you want to spend. If you can get a used yoke that is good, then that would be sufficient.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Beginning Member

i didn't try bolt extractors my next step was to drill it out

Old 01-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Administrator

I would try a bolt extractor (easy out) first. You will need to drill a pilot hole as close to dead center in the remaining bolt as you can, then insert the bolt extractor and try to remove the bolt. Heat may be necessary, but if it is, then you really should remove the yoke from the pinion shaft. In which case, it would just be easier in the long run to have another yoke to swap in. You are already looking at getting new bolts and new straps anyhow as I would not recommend using the one pictured for anything but scrap.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:51 PM
Beginning Member

yeah i here u boss i think its more me looking into getting this used one from Just Chevy

Quick Reply: Yolk Question