General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

'02 Blazer won't chirp a tire from start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Kevo65 is on a distinguished road
Default '02 Blazer won't chirp a tire from start?

I have an '02 Blazer; 2wd , 2door, V-6, automatic. On level ground, It won't even chirp a tire from a full-throttle standing start. I've got no codes. The catalytic converter was already removed when I got the car. Also, the timing chain is new.

This can't be normal. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Old 10-21-2009, 09:42 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you had any issue with lack of power for normal, designed usage? If not, then it just sounds like you have tires with adequate grip.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:53 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I haven't gotten mine to chirp either from standing start...so I don't think it's anything "abnormal". You can easily break the tires loose around a corner though or by doing a brake burn...

Old 10-21-2009, 11:52 AM

Full-throttle and half-throttle starts don't "feel" much different.

My Sedan Deville had 200hp, 270 ft-lbs and weighed 3500 lbs. Had great acceleration from a start with 2.97 final drive. Smoked the tires easily.

My Blazer has 190hp, 250 ft-lbs; weighs 3500lbs. With 3.42 final drive, it just seems like it should accelerate better.

What do you guys think?

Old 10-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Banned
blazerboyz is on a distinguished road

well buddy blazers never came with a v-8 so burning the tires up at a st5and still is a far cry, any who really your blazer only put down to the rear tires, about 170-180h.p. In an almost 4000lbs truck you cant exspect it to be a hot rod. And as for for fwd sedan, well its front wheel drive the trans, diff, and axel is all in the same spot so power is delivered faster, and you dont have much drive train loss. Its no big deal that your truck does not chirp the tires, i would say its time for some mods??!!

Old 10-21-2009, 01:32 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

the caddy probably has front wheel drive

i could NEVER spin tires by stomping on the gas and my motor was rebuilt

Old 10-21-2009, 01:42 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

go somewhere with concrete (parking grage, skate park, etc) put it in neutral, hold the brake, give her some gas (3k rpm), let off gas, drop it into 2nd gear (assuming auto trans) and let off the brake (do the blue stuff in rapid succession)
it should chirp. maybe lunge and die, or shudder a little, but it should chirp none the less.
*Bonus* have your GF/buddies standing near by so you only have to do it the one time to impress her/them

Old 10-21-2009, 02:04 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

Going around the turn and getting about 1/2 throttle I can make my truck spin around and the whole rear end break loose, but deffinitally not a standing still and go. I do wish though too. I did a Cold Air Intake and an Exhaust and that made a huge difference in power. Almost night and day!

Old 10-21-2009, 03:35 PM

Thanks, guys. I guess I was just expecting too much.

I'm stuck with this thing for a few years; so, I'll have to adjust my expectations.

It pulls my jet-ski's o.k. and gets decent fuel mileage, so I'm not completely disappointed with it.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:42 PM
stevo is an unknown quantity at this point

drop a 350 in it and i gaurentee itll chirp the tires all the way down the street lol
but i hear ya with the gas economy, one reason why i am considering buying one over a truck

Quick Reply: '02 Blazer won't chirp a tire from start?