General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

15 Tips To Get Better Gas Mileage

Old 02-09-2012, 04:07 PM
oldsbravada2000 is on a distinguished road
Default 15 Tips To Get Better Gas Mileage

1) Keep your engine tuned up. Bad spark plugs and incorrect spark timing can have a big effect on gas mileage.
2) Don't use your air conditioner (A/C) unless you really need it. The A/C compressor puts an extra strain on the engine.
3) Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Under inflated tires cause more resistance to travel.
4) Avoid stop and go traffic by taking alternative routes or less congested travel times.
5) Ask other people with the same type of car what kind of gas mileage they get, it may alert you to a problem with your car.
6) Use a good engine oil, preferably a synthetic or standard oil treated with a friction reducing oil additive. These have been known to improve fuel economy by as much as 12%.
7) Reduce the weight in your vehicle as much as possible. (Good excuse to get the mother-in-law out of the car)
8) Tailgating can AMAZINGLY improve your gas mileage, thats why race cars "bump-draft" in Nascar, BUT IT'S ILLEGAL AND DAGEROUS DON'T DO IT! (Bump-Drafting is when one race car bumps the rear bumper of another to reduce air resistance)
9) Keeping your highway speed at 60 mph can improve you gas mileage by as much as 25%, compared to 75 mph. (Not sure how but it works for me)
10) Avoid trying to increase speed while climbing a hill, your engine is already working hard trying to overcome gravity.
11) Keep your windows closed when possible. Open windows actually reduce gas mileage compared to using the A/C.
12) Remove accessories, such as luggage rack, etc. that lower the aerodynamics of your vehicle.
13) Aggressive driving (speeding, rapid acceleration and braking) wastes gas. It can lower your gas mileage by 33 percent at highway speeds and by 5 percent around town.
14) Avoid excessive idling, it can use a quarter to a half gallon of fuel per hour.
15) Using cruise control and over-drive gears can greatly improve gas mileage at speeds over 45mph.
A common misconception is that a dirty air filter can hurt gas mileage but on newer fuel injected cars it will only hurt acceleration. The vehicle's computer system senses a change in airflow to the engine and changes the flow of fuel to match.

My truck is a lifted 4 door Bravada with 31 inch tires and I am getting 17mgp city and 21mpg highway. I have tested this by running truck dry and then putting 5 gallons of gas in and drove until it ran dry again. I used my trip meter to count miles and then did the calculations. Sorry for this post being so long.

Last edited by oldsbravada2000; 03-21-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

16) Collect gas money from all passengers.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:22 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

17: dont drive at all =P just messing with you guys

Old 02-09-2012, 10:23 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Drive a Chevy Cruze (Mack), just kidding your list absolutly correct.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:53 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Another tip would be to grow wings and fly!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:18 AM
Starting Member
serrasalmus is on a distinguished road

18: buy a tesla roadster......no gas needed

Old 02-10-2012, 11:10 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

19) Delete 4x4 (chris)

Old 02-10-2012, 11:24 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

20: buy a toyota Prius

Old 10-16-2012, 12:29 PM
xsivhp is on a distinguished road

Sorry to bring this to the top - when you calculated your mileage did you adjust for the speedometer error caused by the 31" tires?

Just bought an S10 and am learning about my new ride. Thanks!

xsivhp

Old 10-16-2012, 02:14 PM
trobbins is on a distinguished road

geo metro 5spd, 54mpg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 15 Tips To Get Better Gas Mileage