General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

1995, But Still Has ODB II?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:09 AM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1995, But Still Has ODB II?

A few days ago, I looked into getting my PCM tuned. I gave them all the stats: 1995 GMC Jimmy vortec 4.3. The next day, I get an e-mail saying that they dont tune OBDI. Here's the thing, I was searching around, and i found a site saying that the 1995 blazers/jimmys with W VIN actually have ODB II... The site also said the S10 has a 16 pin connection, but still have ODB I.

Has anyone else heard of this or can anyone confirm this?

Old 03-15-2008, 03:46 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: 1995, But Still Has ODB II?

Yep. OBD1.5. It's OBD1 system with OBDII plug as I understand it. Either way I know it makes it real tricky to do anything with the OBD system!

Old 03-15-2008, 04:32 AM

from what i understand, its the s-10s that are the odbI.5. I guess the blazers/jimmys are odbII

Old 03-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not true. Early builds that have the OBD1 connector are OBD1. Later builds that have the OBD2 connector are a mix of OBD1 and OBD2 referred to as OBD1.5. The systems in a '95 were not truely OBD2 compliant as it was.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:46 PM
tx_marez_tx is an unknown quantity at this point

my brothers 95 sonoma is like that. he went to advanced auto when he first got it (already knowing about this "issue") and told them he needed an OBDII actron code reader for his truck, they asked him what year it was so he told them. then they swore up and down that he needed an OBDI reader and in the end wouldnt sell it to em. so he then went to o'reillys and got a reader/programmer for 10 bucks less than just a reader from advanced lmao

Old 03-15-2008, 08:35 PM

ORIGINAL: tx_marez_tx

my brothers 95 sonoma is like that. he went to advanced auto when he first got it (already knowing about this "issue") and told them he needed an OBDII actron code reader for his truck, they asked him what year it was so he told them. then they swore up and down that he needed an OBDI reader and in the end wouldnt sell it to em. so he then went to o'reillys and got a reader/programmer for 10 bucks less than just a reader from advanced lmao
see that was what i heard...the 95 blazers with vinW need ODBII reader..

Old 03-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Some OBD2 readers can read the OBD1.5 computer. The plug is the same, but most readers do not have the proper programming to pull the codes from this system. Check with the manufacturer of the scan tool that you are looking at before making the purchase. Most manufacturers have a help hotline that can be called.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:10 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Some OBD2 readers can read the OBD1.5 computer. The plug is the same, but most readers do not have the proper programming to pull the codes from this system. Check with the manufacturer of the scan tool that you are looking at before making the purchase. Most manufacturers have a help hotline that can be called.
Really, all im looking for is someone to tune my pcm! I feel caught in between obdI and odbII!

Old 03-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Because you are. Programming wise, you aren't either OBD1 nor OBD2. It is a mix. The fact that it was only one year on many GM vehicles means that it isn't common.

Old 03-15-2008, 10:18 PM

dang.why do 95's have to be so difficult?

Quick Reply: 1995, But Still Has ODB II?