General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

1995 vortec v 1996+ vortec

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 06:11 PM
mrblonde108 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1995 vortec v 1996+ vortec

Which is a batter engine?? I know the 96 had the intake gasket problem. Is the engine basically the same block?? If the 95 more reliable??? also what kind of traction does a blazer have is it limited slip or what? i had a 97 and it was pretty damn good in the snow with all terrains on it.

thanks

Old 10-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The 96+ SCFI motor is more reliable than the older CPI motor simply because of the FPR and spider design. The intake gasket problem can be easily fixed by replacing the poorly designed plastic framed gaskets with the aluminum frame felpro gaskets. Torque is key.

The Gov-loc automatic locking differential was an option (RPO code G80).

Old 10-02-2009, 07:14 PM

it can be fixed if you get to it early ,but the damage can already be done. Only way to tell is to drop the pan i guess to check the bearings.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrblonde108
it can be fixed if you get to it early ,but the damage can already be done. Only way to tell is to drop the pan i guess to check the bearings.
Huh...?

Old 10-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Default oops

Sorry for not being clear. If the intake manifold has been leaking into the oil for a good while especially with the dec cool. it could be corrosive to the crankbearings and even if you repair the leaky gasket it may have done the damage already. I hope I was clear this time.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Any failure, if left unrepaired can cause further damage. Coolant, dex or otherwise, will not corrode the bearings. It may dilute the oil impeding its ability to lubricate the bearings, but it will not corrode them.

And just for a point of comparision, fuel in the oil from a leaking FPR on a CPI motor can do very much the same thing.

What are you hoping to accomplish with this thread?

Old 10-03-2009, 12:46 AM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The 96+ SCFI motor is more reliable than the older CPI motor simply because of the FPR and spider design. The intake gasket problem can be easily fixed by replacing the poorly designed plastic framed gaskets with the aluminum frame felpro gaskets. Torque is key.

The Gov-loc automatic locking differential was an option (RPO code G80).
I have a 1995, which has the spider injector design. Is that abnormal? Mine has the Eaton G80 locker in the rear. Still works great. Makes a world of difference off road.

What is FPR? CPI? SCFI? In short...what are the differences in plain english? I'm very curious.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:33 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlaziNator
What is FPR? CPI? SCFI? In short...what are the differences in plain english? I'm very curious.
See Common Acronyms and/or Jargon.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BlaziNator
I have a 1995, which has the spider injector design. Is that abnormal? Mine has the Eaton G80 locker in the rear. Still works great. Makes a world of difference off road.

Your 95 is a CPI (central port injection) motor. All CPI motors have a fairly bad FPR (fuel pressure regulator) design. The SCFI (sequential central fuel injection) motor is what is used on the 96 through mid-02 engines and after that it was changed to a true MPFI (multiport fuel injection) spider.

The CPI engine uses one single batch fired electronic fuel injector which feeds the six pressure actuated poppet nozzles spraying fuel into the intake runners. The SCFI engine uses six individual electronic injectors in a central injector pod. The electronic injectors feed poppet nozzles very similar to those used in the CPI engine at the intake runners. The MPFI spider redesign looks very similar to the SCFI spider, but the electronic injectors are moved down to the intake runners, replacing the somewhat problematic poppet nozzles.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:55 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

Ah ha! Thanks a ton guys.

Quick Reply: 1995 vortec v 1996+ vortec