General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

1st gen airbags?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 05:30 AM
Oystein is on a distinguished road
Question 1st gen airbags?

Quick question: Did any of the first gen blazers come with airbags?

Old 07-21-2011, 06:18 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Mine dosnt have any

Old 07-21-2011, 02:21 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

thankfully no they didn't

Old 07-21-2011, 02:23 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
Mine dosnt have any
Doesn't that scare you? I am a wild driver but if anybody gets too close, I will do something about it since my 2nd gen only has the driver airbag. I know what a non-airbag seat does in a wreck, not pretty.

All credit goes to Latin NCAP. They own the video. (Had to say it, watch the first couple seconds of video and you understand)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav4epNjzeU[/youtube]

Last edited by tibby; 07-21-2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: blah.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road

That has nothing to with airbags, its just a bad design. The fire wall is never supposed to come into the passenger compartment and the compartment isn't supposed to deform like that. Its nice to know airbags are there, just in case, but if the car isn't built well it wont matter. I hate to say it but this video reminds me of the Blazer crash test, which wasn't good either. I have no problems with airbags and I think they do much more good than bad but they aren't a get of of dead free card or anything. Seatbelts save lives. They don't call it "supplemental" restraint systems for nothing

Old 07-21-2011, 03:11 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by nineTnine
That has nothing to with airbags, its just a bad design. The fire wall is never supposed to come into the passenger compartment and the compartment isn't supposed to deform like that. Its nice to know airbags are there, just in case, but if the car isn't built well it wont matter. I hate to say it but this video reminds me of the Blazer crash test, which wasn't good either. I have no problems with airbags and I think they do much more good than bad but they aren't a get of of dead free card or anything. Seatbelts save lives. They don't call it "supplemental" restraint systems for nothing
Very true sir. When I watched this video, it reminded of the blazer crash test which was absolutely horrid. I think for my 2nd gen, if it would of had a passenger air bag, the stars would go up by 2.

And yes, I wear my seat belt everywhere I go. They have a "click-it or ticket" campaign around here.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:48 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by tibby
Doesn't that scare you? I am a wild driver but if anybody gets too close, I will do something about it since my 2nd gen only has the driver airbag. I know what a non-airbag seat does in a wreck, not pretty.

All credit goes to Latin NCAP. They own the video. (Had to say it, watch the first couple seconds of video and you understand)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kav4epNjzeU[/youtube]

nope i think air bags are pointless any ways they kill also

Old 07-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
nope i think air bags are pointless any ways they kill also
Um... Wow. So wrong.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Beginning Member
G_Doughty is on a distinguished road

That is a crazy video. The passengers head hits the dash so hard it bends.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:58 PM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Um... Wow. So wrong.
Um...yeah I would definitely agree with swartlkk

Originally Posted by tibby
Very true sir. When I watched this video, it reminded of the blazer crash test which was absolutely horrid. I think for my 2nd gen, if it would of had a passenger air bag, the stars would go up by 2.

And yes, I wear my seat belt everywhere I go. They have a "click-it or ticket" campaign around here.
I don't remember what year of Blazer was crash tested but dual airbags became standard in '98 with the redesign. I don't think they help all that much on the offset for the Blazer, but in a head-on collision I believe they would be of great value. (I say that about the off-set because if you've seen the crash test, you understand). I think air bags and ABS are great safety tools for emergencies, however they do have draw backs in some instances. ABS on ice and snow for example, but still good to have usually.

Air bags have also come a bit more advanced if you will. My '94 Caravan came with dual airbags, full powered ones. Now my '99 Blazer has depowered ones and other vehicles even have sensors for the front seats to detect the weight of the occupant to determine if the airbags should deploy slower or even at all in a collision. Not to mention those with "off" switches for them. I may not agree with all of the new fangled tech in brand new cars yet, but airbags I am definitely for.

Last edited by nineTnine; 07-21-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Quick Reply: 1st gen airbags?