General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

2" ball hitch.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 05:38 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2" ball hitch.

Ok, I am in the process of trying to either just remove the 2" ball, or remove the draw bar from the receiver, but I am having a hellava time doing either. I have beaten the draw bar to death with a 10lb sledge. The ball just spins, so I used my air tool to cut flats on both sides of the bottom ball and using a 6 ft cheater bar I end up losing the wrench off of the nut or the ball. Anyone got any ideas on how to get these off? I don't have a torch so I can't heat it up. I'm not worried about the ball itself. I need to downgrade to a 1 7/8" ball because my father in law is giving me his boat with trailer. 2" ball is scrap for all I care.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:25 AM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Those things can be a pain if the threads are all rusted. Can you re-tighten and spray the exposed threads with a penetrating oil?

A good pipe wrench will hold the ball. They're made for holding round fasteners. Have had to do this several times.

Or if all else fails....hacksaw.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the hacksaw comment.

With out air tools or heat, you are in for a fun time!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:50 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

I used my air cutoff tool and air chisel to cut a line down the side of the nut, then I was able to split the nut a little and STILL using a 6ft cheater bar I was able to remove the nut finally.
I still would like to get the draw bar out of the hitch so I can flip it the other way to drop the ball a couple inches lower to the ground. I have sprayed oil inside the draw bar last night and again this morning. Still can't get it to break loose. Guess I'm gonna have to find someone with some heat.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Blazercrazy is an unknown quantity at this point

Grinders FTW!

Old 05-21-2009, 12:11 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhh. The receiver is also stuck to the hitch? You MAY try chaining it to a tree or some such and try to pull the truck away. Or chain it to the tree and put some pretty good tension on it and smack the bejezus out of with a hammer. But be careful it may come free violently.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I missed that as well. The "chain it to a tree" suggestion would work!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:57 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Make sure it's a sturdy tree, or better yet, light duty chain, small tree and a drunk buddy who talks a lot to record the whole thing and post on YouTube!!

Good luck though seriously. x2 on the grinder. A good grinder, good cutting wheel and extension cord = many a surly bolt/nut/screw tamed! Put something between your paint and the sparks though.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:55 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

yeah i agree. Chain it to a tree and go. Make sure everything is clear cause when it breaks loose it will fly back towards the tree

Old 09-24-2009, 07:06 AM
addohm is on a distinguished road

I went through the same. Vise grips on the top, and a good long breaker bar on the bottom. I just worked in the penoil and was all set.

Found out latter that the ball threads are about 1/4" smaller then the threaded ***** you get at the auto parts store, and so is the hole in the bumper.

Anyone know where to get a replacement ball with the right size threads?

Quick Reply: 2" ball hitch.