General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

2" body lift=really bad mpg's?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Starting Member
closer is on a distinguished road
Default 2" body lift=really bad mpg's?

It's kind of retarded to ask. But to the people out there with a 2" body lift and non-stock sized tires give me an idea of how much crappier mpg's? I'm sitting at 16.5mpg consistently with a 2"torsion bar/overload spring lift, and 245/60/18's (around 31"), full brushguard, and a safari rack on top. I'm trying to debate if I'm only going to lose .5mpg I might as well go for it. But if not I'm considering taking everything back to stock. Right now my Blazer is my only vehicle, but it's paid for and I really like driving it.
I'm just trying to weight the cool factor against the functionality. I know a 3" body lift on my 1st gen really made it easier to work on stuff. And for some reason that thing got 20mpg with 3"lift, torsion bars maxed shackles and 31's (to bad it literally rusted in half). The mpg thing must be a vortec thing. My brother has an all stock 94 1st gen and he's lucky to get 16mpg.
I forgot the lift and truck I'm asking about is my 1998 4x4 LT 4door.

Last edited by closer; 07-29-2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: added vehicle info
Old 07-29-2012, 09:04 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by closer
It's kind of retarded to ask. But to the people out there with a 2" body lift and non-stock sized tires give me an idea of how much crappier mpg's? I'm sitting at 16.5mpg consistently with a 2"torsion bar/overload spring lift, and 245/60/18's (around 31"), full brushguard, and a safari rack on top. I'm trying to debate if I'm only going to lose .5mpg I might as well go for it. But if not I'm considering taking everything back to stock. Right now my Blazer is my only vehicle, but it's paid for and I really like driving it.
I'm just trying to weight the cool factor against the functionality. I know a 3" body lift on my 1st gen really made it easier to work on stuff. And for some reason that thing got 20mpg with 3"lift, torsion bars maxed shackles and 31's (to bad it literally rusted in half). The mpg thing must be a vortec thing. My brother has an all stock 94 1st gen and he's lucky to get 16mpg.
I forgot the lift and truck I'm asking about is my 1998 4x4 LT 4door.
The 2 inch body lift shouldn't noticeably effect your gas mileage. Your problem is your safari rack. Talk about wind resistance! Holy Batman! That rack alone is lowering your gas mileage by 2 or 3. In order to get this mileage back, add a less restrictive exhaust, intake, and if you can find headers that fit a body lift, do that too!

Edit: Also, when your front wheels stick out like mine do, that adds to wind resistance as well. All-terrain or mud terrains knock your mpg even further. Mods suck for gas don't they? lol

Old 07-29-2012, 09:21 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah my safari rack killed my MPG. But most of my driving is around town and its not more than 10 or 15 minutes here to there so its not a big deal. Plus it just looks cool haha

Old 07-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Starting Member
red06sc is on a distinguished road

guy from blackbearperformance says his basic tune they get 2-3mpg more and 10-15 hp gains. So for $200 maybe you can go that direction. Also he makes changes needed to run bigger tires.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:21 AM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

I lost 2 mpg. i have 98 lt 4 door also. with t-bar and shackles and 31x10.50s. i get 15mpg.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:11 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Get a wind deflector for the basket, that might help?

Old 07-30-2012, 01:27 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

Your MPG isn't that bad with what you have done. 2-3 MPG doesn't really make that much of a difference money wise at the pump if you do the math. Did your old blazer have a TBI 4.3? Because they got great MPG in my opinion. My '94 gets less than 15 but I drive it pretty hard.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Starting Member
closer is on a distinguished road

Well... I removed my brushguard, safari rack, and tail light brush guards.... Just to paint them this weekend. LOL! We''ll see if it gets better mpg anyways.
And my rack has the little wind deflector on it. But I almost think it would catch less air with out the deflector if I don't have anything up there.
And yes, my old blazer had the 4.3 w/TBI system on it. I was so hard on that thing. LOL! And it had 220,000 miles and was an ex-county sheriff's vehicle. At least I can say my blazer I have now. Will soon be to the 220,000mile mark... but it will look much better that the 1st gen.
And by the way... My blazer looks really weird too me with everything off of it.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:25 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Dont forget all that stuff you took off has mass as well as a decreased aero. Weight kills mpg light to light, aero kills mpg on the hwy. Check the GM performance book. The dirtest aero on a vehicle is between the bumper and the road. Raise your truck, increase that area; lower your truck, decrease that area. Check the book then you decide.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Presti7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your tire size change made your speedometer 2.4% too slow.

If you are gauging your fuel mileage by using your odometer, stop doing it.

Your odometer isn't reading correctly.

Quick Reply: 2" body lift=really bad mpg's?