General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

2 questions and a dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 02:07 AM
Starting Member
97Bravada is on a distinguished road
Default 2 questions and a dilemma

OK i got a dilemma and a 2 questions,well the question 1st

question 1-ok i have the computer thing on my ceiling that shows my direction,temp,mpgs,avg mpgs and other stuff,well i want to reset the settings on there,and i used to know how but i frgt so how do i do that??

question 2-i have a mysterious engine skip i cant put my finger on,it only seems to occur when i am accelerating between the 40-60mph range,and it goes away when i get up to highway speeds(70-75),any idea's??

dilemma-Ok as you guys(and girls) know i have a 97 bravada and it needs repairs,im getting the brakes fixed on Monday thanks to my dad.But it still needs a HL,tune up,CV shaft,and the above mentioned skip and other stuff i probably forgot about.
So i have been looking around on craigslist and have found a few decent cars in my area,im mostly looking at chevy cavaliers(i love em idk why),Beretta's,honda civics,integras,etc..and found a few id like.My problem is that i like the bravada alot,it has all the power options,leather,great audio platform,and besides the problems it has is in great shape for a 13yr old SUV..but the idea of sinking hundreds in repais of $ into a vehicle that gets at best 17-18 mpgs and takes $10 in gas to run 20-30 miles up to the mall or airport and back just doesn't sit well with me.

Soooo after all that,i need options..fix the stuff the Bravada needs and keep it and get Sh1tty mpgs ?, or buy a car and get decent mpgs and maybe not have to sink alotta $ into it. what you guys think?

Old 02-21-2010, 04:19 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

1 hold both buttons for a few seconds and it should blink out and go to the calibration menu

2 too general for me... when was the last time she got a good tune up? (cap rotor plugs wires fluids and cleaning of maf egr tb iac air filter fuel filter etc...) never underestimate the power of a tune up on an older engine.

Delema do an advanced search for "thinking about buying a car" posts by "sisk". it has been gone over. if you take a vehicle that needs $500 put in it and gets 17.5 mpgs vs a car that costs $2500 and get's 24 mpgs (it will still need maintenance mind you...) you will have to drive that thing for a minute to break even....

Brakes are free to you. i did BOTH cvs for like 80-90 bucks. a good ttune up (as listed above) will run you about $250 or so...we'll say 310+90 for cvs = $400
SO unless you can find a maintenance free vehicle for under $400 +the value of your truck that gets better MPGs, you're SOL...

BONUS you can seafoam the hell out of it PRIOR to the tune up and get even more goodness!

Old 02-21-2010, 11:36 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABN31B
1 hold both buttons for a few seconds and it should blink out and go to the calibration menu
are you sure? i tried that on my '98 Blazer, and it didn't work.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Starting Member
97Bravada is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
are you sure? i tried that on my '98 Blazer, and it didn't work.
yeah thats what ive tried and it still says my avg spd is like 23.7 mph lol

Old 02-21-2010, 02:19 PM
beefgravy is on a distinguished road

Well I just bought a 96 Blazer 4 door 4x4 on Monday and I love it. It needed a lot of work when I got it but after 7 trips to autozone, I have it running pretty good.

Here is my opinion, these things last and last. There are one of the most popular cars on the road so new and used parts are a dime a dozen. Everey shop I talked to this week new a lot about them and have prices for fixing things ready because they do them all the time.

Now I did buy it off cragslist, but it was the 17th one I looked at and I was looking for one for months. That being said, you have no idea what you are getting when you get a car, at least with this one, you know what it needs and can fix it as you go. Don't loose hope in it. Just fix it one at a time.

The only one I question I can answer for you is the miss one. I would bet a fowled plug, or I had one once that at a certain speed the engine would be tilted just right and one of the plug wires had a crack and would arch against a ground and cause a miss, took me forever to figure out.

I guess I would say..Keep Your Bravada! lol

Old 02-21-2010, 09:46 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 97Bravada
yeah thats what ive tried and it still says my avg spd is like 23.7 mph lol
i wish mine said that-even once! i'd never erase it, that's for sure.

Originally Posted by beefgravy
I guess I would say..Keep Your Bravada! lol

where did he say he was getting rid of it? or even thinking about that?

and 7 trips to the parts store? why not go once instead of every day.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:35 PM
beefgravy is on a distinguished road
Talking

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
where did he say he was getting rid of it? or even thinking about that?

and 7 trips to the parts store? why not go once instead of every day.

Originally Posted by 97Bravada
Soooo after all that,i need options..fix the stuff the Bravada needs and keep it and get Sh1tty mpgs ?, or buy a car and get decent mpgs and maybe not have to sink alotta $ into it. what you guys think?
Easy Canada...lol sore from the loss tonite?

That was his quote, easy to misunderstand, I guess. And 7 trips means I wanted to fix my Blazer up to all its potential and replace maybe some things just to make it closer to new. Maybe I even needed to save up a few bux to fix things and wasent rich like you and can just buy 800 bux in parts at once.

Last edited by beefgravy; 02-21-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:47 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by beefgravy
Easy Canada...lol sore from the loss tonite?

That was his quote, easy to misunderstand, I guess. And 7 trips means I wanted to fix my Blazer up to all its potential and replace maybe some things just to make it closer to new. Maybe I even needed to save up a few bux to fix things and wasent rich like you and can just buy 800 bux in parts at once.

lucky for you you changed that first line (i saw it before you had the chance to edit it ), and forum rules says i can't really reply to you in the proper way. and what loss are you talking about?

to me, it read as like he didn't want to spend a ton of cash on it to get better mileage for a DD.

brother you don't even know me, so don't go acting like you do.

but @ least we can spell up here.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:57 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

SPELLING BURN!

I'm gonna call THIS one: Canada: 1, Southern Canada: 0 (that's right michigan, and you look like a mitten!)

i'll check my owners booklet and get back with you Nine Seven... i remember the "hold both buttons" trick i thought... maybe you have to cycle the ignition too or some crap.... stand by...

Last edited by ABN31B; 02-21-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:13 PM
BF Guru

thanks for looking into how to reset the overhead console Curtis.

i was looking through the only owners manual i have-it's for a '98 Jimmy-and it said the same thing, but that doesn't do it. it also doesn't even mention how the damn heated mirrors were supposed to work (went a whole Winter before i found out how that one functioned).

Quick Reply: 2 questions and a dilemma