General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

2000 Blazer question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Guene is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 Blazer question

I took my daughter to look at a 2000 chevy Blazer, it has 86,000 miles on it, it looks great and runs good, but My Husband got on line and found out that they have a lot of problems, will I did my search too and it looks like they are fine, but I'm worried, she worked her butt off this summer to save for a car, she also has a 2 year old daughter, I just want to know if this is a safe SUV and that she's not making a mistake, we gave him a check and are going to the bank tomorrow to get the cash, please tell me we are not making a big mistake, Thanks Guene

Old 08-17-2009, 12:08 AM
Beginning Member
rjohnson2 is on a distinguished road

just get the front end looked at/keep an eye on it, ball joints, bearings, bushings, idler arms, etc... all that stuff in the front end might need replaced if it hasnt been already. besides all the front end work that seems so common on blazers, i couldnt ask for more from mine (96 blazer from 03-09, 2000 blazer 09-present) - the 4.3 is a great motor IMO

Old 08-17-2009, 12:57 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Not sure what you are planning to do with it but if you want a really safe SUV then buy a Suburban or a Tahoe. I like the baby Blazers for off roading because they are lightweight and will fit in many places a full size won't.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:47 AM

My daughter wants it for driving it to school and back, it's going to be her car, she has a 2 year old daughter too so she wanted something safe.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:06 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

My Blazer takes me to school and back and I couldn't ask for a better vehicle... easy to park and good in snow.

As far as it being reliable, there's no real garauntee, every vehicle has it's faults. Watch the front end parts, for some reason S-series trucks go through them easier than other vehicles.

It's safer than a small car as far as collisions go because of the full frame the body's sitting on. A member's parents here got into a pretty bad collision on the interstate, T-boned someone who blew a red talking on the phone, the Blazer fared better than the other vehicle and both occupants of the Blazer are still alive today.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:07 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

'Safe' is, of course, an ambiguous term. As far as occupant crash safety, in most cases, the bigger the better, like bandidolenny said. If 'safety' means reliability, a properly maintained and driven Blazer is about as reliable as any other vehicle of this type.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:11 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the veh being sold thru a used car dealer or private sale? if a private seller, get maintenance records!! If they say they dont have any then sumtin sounds fishy, who doesnt keep records for their car repairs?? I sure as hell do.. If its from a car dealer, make sure theers some kind of warranty with it.. even if ya have to pay extra.. Ya cant always trust used car dealers these days, most of them are out to make a quik buck on a veh.. bring the veh to your everyday mechanic that you trust for a second opinion on the overall cond of it, def get the front end checked carefully.. esp with a child thats going to be in it.. can you get any pics of it posted?? I`m not trying to scare you away from it, just want safety for your daughter and child... Keep us informed of the outcome, and if something does go wrong with it after buying it make sure it goes back ASAP Dont wait to bring it back ......and as always theres always us here at the group that can help with diagnosing problems that may occur,,,,

Old 08-17-2009, 11:57 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 2002XTREME
If they say they dont have any then sumtin sounds fishy, who doesnt keep records for their car repairs?? I sure as hell do..
I have never kept maintenance records for any vehicle I've owned and I've done the vast majority of all the work with the exception of warranty items. So does this make me untrustworthy because now I appearantly smell fishy?

/highjack

Just have a trusted mechanic give the blazer a once over. Best insurance you can buy when buying a used vehicle.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:20 PM

My Husband and I also keep records on our Vehicle's, I just think it's a good idea, I don't think he meant anything AFBert, it's just good to have it for if you ever decide to sell . Guene

Old 08-17-2009, 12:30 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Guene for helping me with that, It doesnt matter who fixes my cars whether its me or a shop i like to keep track of what was done and when.. If i was to be selling my Blazer to anyone i dont care who it is, i have my proof of what was done to the veh, instead of standing there going Uhhhhhhhhhhh (it was well maintained)... yeah ok..when you dont have records for stuff like that when selling a veh then theres more than likely something being hidden from the new buyer... Look how many people post here saying they Just bought their new blazer last month or last week and now i have all these problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hello they were there already.... thats why the veh was sold to another person who can get stuck with the repairs and more than likely exp ones at that... Guene i wish your Daughter good luck with the truck if she decides to get it..O and keep maintenance records on it.......Ya never know when your gonna need info on it.. heheeh

Quick Reply: 2000 Blazer question