General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

2001 Blazer over heating new fan clutch and therm

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 07:08 PM
blazzer1 is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 Blazer over heating new fan clutch and therm

Replaced fan clutch, replaced themostat . Did a complete flush on the coolant system. check engine ls on, Multiple miss fire code i have changed everything but the distributor. I mean everything!!!MAS-MAF COIL- PLUGS, WIRES, NEW RADIATOR,BATTERY. CAN NOT!!!!! not figure it out. Gas mileage sucks but what ever, Pull my therm can't pass inspections. I AM ABOUT READY TO SELL THIS PICE OF CRAP. I love chevys, I have had nothing but since 1981. But this Blazer is something eles.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:20 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

change the dist cap and rotor with AC DELCO cap and rotor. These trucks are fussy about parts. Dont like cheap after market crap

Old 06-16-2014, 07:27 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

With the overheating... has this vehicle ever had green, (ethylene glycol) coolant installed in it?

What brand parts did you install? These things are very fussy when it comes to tune up parts, especially plugs, cap & rotor. Have you checked fuel pressure and leakdown?

Old 06-24-2014, 04:34 PM
Beginning Member
Shadow123 is on a distinguished road

Hook, what's the deal with the green coolant? I am also having a similar problem and have replaced many things. I have the green coolant in mine.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:17 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

If the dexcool and the green coolant mixes it will coagulate and turn into a thick sludge. Your lower 1/2 of your radiator may be plugged up or any other small lines

Old 06-24-2014, 08:17 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

newguy said it all. Sounds like shadow you need a hard core flush

Last edited by richphotos; 06-24-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:23 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Nice job newguy & Rich! One more thing... the green protects cast iron from corrosion very well, but it does not protect aluminum from corrosion. Really only 3 things to be concerned about in the 4.3L: radiator, heater core, and lower intake manifold Dexcools ability to protect aluminum doesn't last forever, it needs to be flushed every 3 years or 36K miles, which is still cheaper than flushing the green every year, like it should be.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:53 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Nice job newguy & Rich! One more thing... the green protects cast iron from corrosion very well, but it does not protect aluminum from corrosion. Really only 3 things to be concerned about in the 4.3L: radiator, heater core, and lower intake manifold Dexcools ability to protect aluminum doesn't last forever, it needs to be flushed every 3 years or 36K miles, which is still cheaper than flushing the green every year, like it should be.
The green should be flushed yearly?

Old 06-25-2014, 03:45 PM

Yup! You'd be surprised how many people don't though. Flush interval should be in the owners manual.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:40 PM
BF Veteran

I never have LMAO! Luckily I have a new radiator and heatercore. so I am good for a year hahah

Quick Reply: 2001 Blazer over heating new fan clutch and therm