General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

2001 RWD Blazer - Exhaust pipe cut and part stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 10:58 AM
DRAY60 is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 RWD Blazer - Exhaust pipe cut and part stolen?

Started my Blazer this morning and the engine was so loud/ horrendous , woke up the neighborhood like I had no muffler! As it turns out, the exhaust pipe leading from the catalytic converter to the front of engine was severed!! Looks like someone cut a piece of the pipe out! I have no idea why someone would go to that trouble? Is their a part that may have been stolen? Haynes manual doesn't show anything as far as I can tell and the catalytic converter is still there.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:01 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Wow. That's low!!

I wonder if your truck had two pieces to that pipe. I'm not sure if it's a second cat, of a resonator of some sort.

Where are you located? What's the law on cats and such?

Edit: some have a second one...

Last edited by DonL; 03-04-2021 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 05:15 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

CA emissions ones have a pre-cat on the y-pipe as shown above. I'm wondering why they didn't take both? Guess someone came by and spooked them. You can just replace the y-pipe without the pre-cat being as you live in TX.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:57 PM
Beginning Member
Madrox is on a distinguished road

This has been happening quite a bit around Denver, CO. Per the news people were cutting out cats and selling them for the metals in them - https://www.parkmuffler.com/blog/cat...protect-yours/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/t/15...om/vp-BB1eCB7U this was from yesterday.. crazy.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:10 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Madrox
This has been happening quite a bit around Denver, CO. Per the news people were cutting out cats and selling them for the metals in them - https://www.parkmuffler.com/blog/cat...protect-yours/

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/t/15...om/vp-BB1eCB7U this was from yesterday.. crazy.
I saw a post by Pemco insurance (out of Seattle?) about cats being stolen.

https://pemco.com/blog/catalytic-converter-theft

Old 03-17-2021, 08:43 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

We've had to replace 6 stolen converters so far where I work.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:16 AM
Mods is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tom A
We've had to replace 6 stolen converters so far where I work.
..man what a bad time to live in a ghetto area and have just put a new converter in....

Old 03-24-2021, 05:07 PM
DRAY60 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the posts! It was the smaller converter that was stolen. My Blazer has two. Had it replaced at a muffler shop for $300.

Old 03-26-2021, 04:28 PM
Starting Member
Torbinator is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DRAY60
Thanks for the posts! It was the smaller converter that was stolen. My Blazer has two. Had it replaced at a muffler shop for $300.
$300? Ouch... Could have gond with a flowmaster high flow cat for... Arent they like $80? I mean I dont live in an emissions area but id assume they would pass since theyre technically a cat just a little louder and smelly.

Old 03-26-2021, 04:31 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Torbinator
$300? Ouch... Could have gond with a flowmaster high flow cat for... Arent they like $80? I mean I dont live in an emissions area but id assume they would pass since theyre technically a cat just a little louder and smelly.
I don't know about other places but, at least in California, you have to install a CA-approved converter made specifically for the vehicle. And they're way expensive.

Quick Reply: 2001 RWD Blazer - Exhaust pipe cut and part stolen?