General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

29 MPG!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007 | 09:37 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: 29 MPG!!

well I totaly believe you....I have 130,000 miles on my 2000.....and I have 3 different brands of "new" used tires that I have replaced one at a time...just your normal run of the mill tires...and heading home on US 2 last month...I got 26 miles to the gallon....I was going about 62...and anyone who has driven knows US 2 is super flat...on average I get 20-22 miles a gallon going 75 with a canoe strapped to my roof....if I'm cruising with the rpm's under 2,000...it's 22+......like others have said..it's how you drive it....I'm consistantly suprised by how good my gas millage is....and seeing as my fuel guage has been broke for almost 2 years....I have about 2 years of gas milage to compare to..

and as a side note...I only get about 18 in the city....some times 16 depending on how stop and go it is....

Old 07-11-2007 | 10:24 AM
BrianMichaels1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I get 15-16 in the city. This is overpopulated Plano TX where you stop and go more than San Francisco. But of course...Texas...no hills...great highway mileage indeed. 1,575-1600 RPMs or so at 55. And in Texas there's a hill big enough for the cruise to feel the need for more RPMs about once every 100-150 miles. I've also been getting the same mileage with or without A/C on...which lately since it's been 96 degrees and over, I've been using it a lot. It hit 110 degrees last year in Dallas can't wait to see what more global warming blesses us with this year.

Old 07-19-2007 | 10:11 AM
Starting Member
BlackBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point

i have 30" tires and i still get 23mpg at 80, but i do the majority of my driving in the city so my average is 15mpg.

Old 07-24-2007 | 05:15 AM
aris_unlimited is an unknown quantity at this point

man I must need to clean out my engine or something mayb there is too much gunk in there (although at less than 80k miles I doubt it) at 65mph I constantly pull 18mpg on the highway, I don't even want to think about 75mph lol.

Old 07-24-2007 | 05:28 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Could just need a regular tune up... I'll be doing the plugs soon.... And I can see I'm going to hate it already, lol

Old 07-24-2007 | 09:26 AM
mdemers2006 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm lucky if I get 19Mpg with my 30"(inflated 37PSI) @ 60Mph,and thats without A/C.Maybe you have a transformer and you don't know it dude! ehe h he!!

Old 07-24-2007 | 09:43 PM

Oh dude Drperry, you'll love the plugs! Impossible! I did it though, only took about 6 hours. In through the wheel wells with the wheels removed is the best angle. You'll have to hold aside the rubber splash guards and everything. The one plug thats blocked by the steering linkage is lovely, get it with a spark plug socket and a wrech from above...Godspeed!

Old 07-25-2007 | 03:55 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Well, the passenger side plugs are the easiest plugs I've ever taken out, since my old 4 cylinder Mazda, and the front 3 on my old Lumina Z34...

And my truck desparately needs new plugs, lol... But currently has a broken plug wire, so I'll see what happens when that gets fixed...

Old 07-25-2007 | 09:33 AM

It's the one blocked by the steering linkage that's so swell, you can't fit a socket wrench in there so you have to use a spark plug socket and a wrench from above...but now having figured out everything about it I think I could probably now do my plugs in 30-45 minutes. Course my Nova's 8 plugs took me 10 minutes.

Old 07-25-2007 | 10:13 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Yeah it took me about 6-7 hours to replace my plugs and wires, about 10 mins on the passenger side for plugs, another 3 mins for the wires, then the front and rear plug on the drivers side about 10 mins and then the middle one plug #3 took about 5-6 hours (old plug was stripped and can't get at it from the right angle, eventually I got it with a universial joint, a couple extensions, and a spark plug socket through the well. Also tried to lift the steering shaft but that didnt work for me cause I didn't want to f' up anything). But have fun, maybe a spark plug socket with 5/8's hex on the end and a wrench from above will work better. I'll find out since I need to check that plug since I think its not in all the way and losing compression. But I still got 25 mpg on the highway doing 55 and 70 on a drive home (~500 miles roundtrip).

EDIT: I know of one other thing that would have a major affect on gas mileage, that is the rear end gear ratios, I just found out using this, that I have a 3.73 gear ratio with positraction. Here is a LIST of RPO codes and corresponding gear ratios (you find the RPO numbers on the sticker in your glove box, should be a G?? number, also you can find out if you have a positrac or not). Otherwise if you want to find everything your blazer has go HERE and you can enter them all and then it will tell you exactly what all you have.

-Lenny

Quick Reply: 29 MPG!!