General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

2dr vs 4dr handling characteristics

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:53 AM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2dr vs 4dr handling characteristics

Anyone drove both? I drove a 2dr 4wd for the first time yesterday. Driving it normally like I do my 4dr it felt ridiculously unstable.

To the point I didn't want to drive it anymore. Cornering felt like the truck was about to tip over. the 2dr had less mileage and all new suspension components, ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman/idler arm, shocks, new leafs in the back, sway bar links... my 4dr has a pretty worn front suspension. Anyone else notice this? I kinda wanted a 2dr ZR2 blazer, but after just driving that for the short amount of time I did, I'm completely turned off by how they drive.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Starting Member
jackdough is an unknown quantity at this point

i went from my 97 four door to my 2000 two door, i noticed a good difference. took some getting used too but i wouldnt go back now. they get much worse as you lift em too. watch out on those highway ramps lol.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road

I drove a 2 door before I got my 4 door to see what they drove like and once after. The 2 doors are more jiggly over bumps and more tippy, but that's what happens with a short wheelbase I guess

Old 05-15-2011, 09:53 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

I know someone who rolled a 4dr Blazer doing a U-turn...

Driver error most likely though.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Beginning Member
Mikeinnh is on a distinguished road

My wife has had an '01 Blazer/Trailblazer (4 door) for some time. About 2 months ago I bought a '95 2 door. Do they drive differently? Sure, they're different vehicles. The 2 door has a shorter wheelbase and a few inches more ground clearance. Personally, I prefer my 2 door. It's not, however "unstable". If you don't like the feel of the 2 door, stick with the 4 door. Like Dirty Harry said - "A man's got to know his limitations".

Old 05-16-2011, 07:16 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by RangerG

wow, no more U-turns for me then.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:41 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand the wheel base difference, but its only 7 inches or so difference. ground clearence is about the same since this is a non-zr2 2dr. I was just amazed at how differently they drove.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:10 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

People always assume that my Blazer is extremely unstable for some reason. Don't quite understand it. If my Blazer is unstable then every Jeep should roll over every time they see a corner.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:50 AM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure how you could blame the truck for that one...

If my Blazer is unstable then every Jeep should roll over every time they see a corner.
I got a kick out of that and its oh so true

Last edited by nineTnine; 05-17-2011 at 12:52 AM. Reason: phone deleted half the post
Old 05-18-2011, 11:02 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

People always assume that my Blazer is extremely unstable for some reason. Don't quite understand it. If my Blazer is unstable then every Jeep should roll over every time they see a corner.
Yeah, people say the same thing about mine but I think it handles and corners quite nicely. One thing I do notice about my blazer is I sure feel it when i turn a corner it throws me back and forth quite a bit compared to my moms suv.

Quick Reply: 2dr vs 4dr handling characteristics