General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

2nd Gen Blazer vs TrailBlazer

Old 09-18-2014, 05:05 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by HARDTRAILZ
They are just as easy to work on. A veru simple platform for the DIYer actually.

End links do suck but for $40 you can build some that will eliminate any further issues.

In years of moderating TB forums and wrenching on dozens of them I hardly see blown out struts. They tend to last without leaking far longer than anyone should run them. The do better than a standard shock like on the rear or on the s-series.

Front hubs and ball joints are just like any other vehicle and dont wear out any quicker. Plus they are simple and cheap to replace when the time does comes. I do mine yearly because of the big tires and keep the old ones for trail spares or give them to people that need them.

Hybrid Efans...What??? The platform uses a typical fan clutch not e-fans.

The rust in the doors is far less than my previous S-series trucks, but still the same ole GM issue.

The 5.3 is the obvious win and the 4.2 has a little more pep...interesting since they have almost the same numbers and having driven both many times, the power is basically the same. Both are hands down more powerful than the 4.3. 4.2 at 291 vs 4.3 at 190...100HP is more than a little pep. Esp if you remove the torque management as I said above. My 4.2 is peppy enough to break loose my 35s pretty easy.

The size I can agree with 9 inches longer and 6 inchs wider is a big difference. But with my 2 kids now and the fact that the TB seems far more spacious inside than any of the 4 door S-series I owned, its an ok trade-off to me. The TB dimensions are near identical to the 4 door JK Jeeps in width, height, weight, and wheelbase so they are not big by any means.

The size is partially a non-issue because the TB actually has a smaller turning radius than the 04 S series he has now. Its also that turning radius that helps me offroad to keep the bigger body as clean as it is.

The driving experience is more like a car in the TB. I hated it, but a leveling kit makes it feel just like a truck should. Solid and planted. HD Bilstein struts do the same thing if you dont want to lift or level.

FYI--The zr2 has only half an inch more GC than a Traiblazer(8.5vs8). But also adds about half of the extra width you did not like in the bigger size.

---IMO having owned multiple of each platform, the Trailblazer is a better vehicle overall. Nothing wrong with a nice s-series. I still want another 2 door blazer w sas for a trail rig and another 4 door to just have a for a mildly lifted beater...I would go 1st gen on both though cause the 2nd gen never impressed me.
Not really sure why you chose to reply to everything I wrote... Trust me I have nothing to prove, and don't want to start an argument. Just stating my opinion (which happens to differ from yours) as requested by the OP.

A lot of your defense seems to be mocking me or just re-writing what i wrote, which i don't appreciate. I guess you feel you need to defend the TB platform for some reason?

If it makes you feel any better though... my previous Job was as a tech at a private shop (over 5 years exp.) of which many TB's and Colorado's came through the door for various reasons, and on top of that my brother owned a 2005 TB up till last year. Guess who did all the work when something broke? I have also owned, modified, and repaired many s-series trucks, along with a few vehicles with gen III GM small blocks (read 5.3L, LS1, LS3). Of which i base my comparison from. I could keep going and reply to every counter you wrote, however i really don't spend that much time on forums, and especially don't normally choose to type this much.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:57 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

One point I seem to have picked up on is it seems like the TB is good after you make suspension changes to it, a fan swap, engine computer work, etc. One thing I like about my blazer is I've been just replacing stock parts on it with other stock parts and it's taken me along for just about every experience I could ask out of a blazer (minus high level off-roading). I'd really like to be able to get into this TB and just pick right up with things without needing any of the changes. It's not that I don't want to do upgrades...I just can't afford to put a lot of work into a truck. That's exactly why I'm even debating this. My blazer has come to the point where it's needing work done to it and I'm wondering if I would be better off just getting into a TB.

I appreciate the input though and still am not quite sold either way!

Old 09-19-2014, 08:26 AM
Starting Member
HARDTRAILZ is on a distinguished road

You do not need to do anything right away to a TB. They just take well to upgrades. Better than many vehicles do and I have a tendency to mod anything I own.

Most love the drive stock and dont change the suspension. It really only needs things if you offroad. The fan swap is only if you have a failure, then its actually cheaper to upgrade, so why not. The computer is just an amazing difference. People think they have good power and nice shifting then you drop 100 bucks on a tune and its like you added a shift kit and let loose an extra 50 usable horsepower. Not needed but i would tune one before I lifted or changed suspension or anything else, so I tend to mention it.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:27 AM
Starting Member
HARDTRAILZ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by KM346
my previous Job was as a tech at a private shop (over 5 years exp.) of which many TB's and Colorado's came through the door for various reasons,
Then you should know that those two do not share anything. Completely different platforms.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:25 AM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

Then you should know that those two do not share anything. Completely different platforms.
Actually now that you mention it. I would much rather own a colorado.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:31 PM
mech cb is on a distinguished road

I agree, it sounds like the computer tune would be a cheap and easy tune up to do to the TB. I just started a new job and the gf is about to start one as well so that could be an option down the road.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:47 PM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

GMT355 vs GMT360/370 and all that.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:02 AM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

I have both, original owner 95 2dr Blazer 4x4 and original owner 06 Envoy XL 4x4. I love both vehicles but my wife drivers the Envoy mostly. The Blazer has 2" shakels and torsion bar adjust and 30" tires with an open rear diff and the Envoy is bone stock. Hands down the ride of the Envoy blows away the ride of the Blazer even when it was pure stock. The power is also much better throughout acceleration on the Envoy (remember I have the XL 3rd row which is bigger the Blazer by a country mile). As for off road both do well with what I do which is beach access for fishing but the only problem I had with the Envoy was it did get high centered once due to the longer distance between the wheels and the running boards hanging down but again it is primarily my wifes truck and that could be over come with some suspension work and or removal of the boards. You cant go wrong with either but the Trailblazer does offer more space, power, comfort and probably less miles than the Blazer. It is going to come down to what you like more. I sometimes wish that I had a Trailblazer or Envoy for everyday and the Blazer just for fun.