General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

4wd to 2wd

Old 08-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4wd to 2wd

Sometimes, one begins to wonder.

Anyhoo, is it possible to remove the front CV shafts and still be able to drive the vehicle? So as to increase fuel economy? Of course, I would reinstall them prior to winter time. Would the shaft from the transfer case have to come out also? If it trips a SES light or 4wd light, i'm not concerned. Thanks.

Old 08-23-2011, 04:02 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

I know someone who did

He deleted the shafts Transfer case and i dont know what else but its possible

Hes going to prob reply to this thread later on tonight

Old 08-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you saying he removed the front cv shafts and the transfer case? Or just the shaft from the front diff to the transfer case?

Old 08-24-2011, 10:08 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Okie dokie Here we go.

Yes you can remove the front cv axles. BUT heres the deal. you gonna have to break em to make it work,so you gonna have to buy new ones when you wanna replace em in the winter. The wheel bearings need the outter cv ends to keep the bearings from failing. You know the outter part that slides into the wheel? yea thats gotta stay in it. So you remove the cv axles,put the cv in a vice and beat the heck out of it until the outters pop off. Or theres a tiny carter clip inside the boot you can pull and it'll slide off. slide the outters back in the wheel hub and bolt it all back in. Whalla no front cv's Justs just when you need the new ones back in,save the outter old ones for when you wanna remove front wheel drive capability. As for the transfer case,I didnt remove it,it would of been a pita to sort things out. I just removed my front driveshaft so nothing is turning,and less weight. I even removed my front diff. Ive shaved over 900lb on the blazer. He's on a diet. and you can feel it! my 4wd didnt work and i never used it.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:36 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

See i told you he will respond in the thread =) ^^

Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chris015
Okie dokie Here we go.
.. As for the transfer case,I didnt remove it,it would of been a pita to sort things out. I just removed my front driveshaft so nothing is turning,and less weight. I even removed my front diff. Ive shaved over 900lb on the blazer. He's on a diet. and you can feel it! my 4wd didnt work and i never used it.

Good stuff and I'm gonna save that info in case I need it.
My only question and it pops every time I see someone say 'remove front driveshaft'... what do you seal the TC seal with? To keep the TC fluid from leaking out? Or dirt from getting in.

Oh... and if it were me and the CV's were good, I'd pull the clip. Or get a pair from junkyard.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:37 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Pulling the clip is a pain,you need a GOOD bottle of degreaser before you can even see the clip. its in there! About the seals,i was worried as 1st about it. I pulled my driveshaft and nothing leaked,i pulled back and forth of both ends and nothing slid out.I looked and couldnt see a way of alot of dirt to get in it. Its been like this since January and Ive had no issues or leaks thus far. So its a go!

John,you know this is my area of information! lol Its whatcha get when you get bored one day,drink a bunch of beer and started getting into things that you didnt know nothing about.

Between removing my rear seats,carpet from seats back,ac delete,driveshaft,front diff,and cvs gone,4x4 selector system and bunch of random things i dont remember it brought the weight down from 3410 to 2470 with my 280lb *** in it. I couldnt believe i could ever get a s10 blazer to weight just over a ton. Between 3.42 gears and a 4.3 ive done everything i can think of other then heads and cam,Its fun to drive.

Last edited by chris015; 08-24-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:02 PM
jh94 is on a distinguished road

Hey im sure this isn't the place for this but i have a 94 4x4 4.3cpi auto S10 Blazer and my tranny went out. im thinking of going to a 5 speed. this is the first auto s10 ive had lol. Does anyone know if Id need a different length rear driveshaft? Thanks

Old 03-18-2013, 08:47 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Very interesting topic if I ever end having problems with 4wd I know how im going to take care of it LOL.How much better gas milege to you get?

Last edited by 1sttimejimmyowner; 03-18-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

See I have thought about this a lot, could you not just get control arms from a 2wd, and spindles ect and do it without breaking the cv shafts for the front hubs?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4wd to 2wd