General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

4x4 wiring plug doesn’t exist

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 04:05 AM
Kyle Liebrecht is on a distinguished road
Default 4x4 wiring plug doesn’t exist

Can someone tell me where the plug wiring for the 4x4 switch, wires to in the 1997 Chevy blazer? I have the transfer case, the switch and the driveshaft going from the transfer case to the front and back axles but no lights on the switch and no engagement to 4x4 and upon further inspection I found out I don’t have the plug at all and after inspecting grounds and power wiring I haven’t found the wiring for it like the videos stating so I may just re-wire a plug for the 3 button switch from Amazon but need a working digraph to find out where to go to start that kind of job IF I can’t find the plug already in the blazer :/

I have the three button, (7 pin plug), switch so I have 2hi, 4low, and 4hi

help!?

Old 11-08-2020, 04:35 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Has this Blazer been modified?

It's not clear what you mean by: " I have the transfer case, the switch and the driveshaft going from the transfer case to the front and back axles but no lights on the switch and no engagement to 4x4..."

Are you modifying a 2WD to a 4WD?

Would be very uncommon not to have the respective connector (plug) for the switch just behind it in the dash.

Old 11-09-2020, 03:00 AM
Default 4x4 wiring plug doesn’t exist

Originally Posted by error_401
Has this Blazer been modified?

It's not clear what you mean by: " I have the transfer case, the switch and the driveshaft going from the transfer case to the front and back axles but no lights on the switch and no engagement to 4x4..."

Are you modifying a 2WD to a 4WD?

Would be very uncommon not to have the respective connector (plug) for the switch just behind it in the dash.
Yeah sorry no I just bought the truck like this and when I went to try to engage the 4x4 with the switch to see if it worked, no lights no nothing lit up and no engagement. So when I got home the first thing I did was check my wiring inside the vehicle and found out this problem but this blazer came, from factory with 4x4 and had everything still installed when I got this blazer and didn’t look to be tampered with except the plug and wiring going to the back of the switch behind the dash from the fuse block (and from the transfer case I believe) and where I live, I need it to work lol (because of the climate) but I have the fuses, relays, driveshafts, axel shafts(all 4 axels), 3 button switch, and the transfer case just no wiring behind the dash GROUNDS ARE GOOD ASWELL! 🙂

Old 11-09-2020, 09:31 AM
ProCycle is on a distinguished road

On my 2000 Blazer the transfer case shift controller is under the passenger kick panel. It's plugged in to the main chassis harness. Some previous owner may have replaced your dash harness with one from a 2WD.

Old 11-10-2020, 02:21 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

So, just to make sure we have properly understood your problem:
  • It used to be a 4x4
  • Somebody has either removed or put a 2WD harness in as ProCycle suggested
  • You have the proper fuse box
  • The wiring from the fuse box to the switch is missing
  • The wiring from the transfer case to the switch is missing

Not sure how the 97's controlled the transfer case. Should there be a separate TCCM?
How does the vacuum actuation look?

Try having a look at rockauto's literature for that model. Sometimes you can get by the original factory manuals on DVD. But not the HAYNES or CHILTON. There are at least two manuals the service and the electrical & diagnostics.

Maybe somebody has the wiring diagrams for the 97 4x4?

Old 11-11-2020, 12:40 AM

• It used to be a 4x4

Not sure how the 97's controlled the transfer case. Should there be a separate TCCM?

Try having a look at rockauto's literature for that model. Sometimes you can get by the original factory manuals on DVD. But not the HAYNES or CHILTON. There are at least two manuals the service and the electrical & diagnostics.

yes your points you’ve stated are Correct but this vehicle is a 4 x 4 vehicle it was never a 2 Wheel Dr. vehicle it was always 4 x 4 so I don’t know why the switch or plug is not there where it should be and I didn’t know that you can change the harness from a 2 wheel drive blazer in to mine witch is a 4x4 blazer I will have a look at the wiring on the passenger kick panel and see what I find

Old 11-11-2020, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by ProCycle
On my 2000 Blazer the transfer case shift controller is under the passenger kick panel. It's plugged in to the main chassis harness. Some previous owner may have replaced your dash harness with one from a 2WD.
okay yes I did see when I was wiring my subwoofer in for the positive wire on the passenger side I did see that there was a ecu looking silver box there attached to the passenger side kick panel by the door so I’ll take a look and see maybe the harness was pulled back behind the glove box assembly too ? I’m not sure. Will update you on the situation once I get it apart again lol

Old 12-10-2020, 05:20 AM

• It used to be a 4x4

so I did some wire digging when I had my dash completly apart and out of the vehical and couldn’t find the 4x4 switch plug connector anywhere, so I went under the vehical and did a better in depth check for everything 4x4 related and I noticed I do not have a front driveshaft that goes from the transfer case to front axle assembly so I’ll have to pick one of those up from a parts blazer BUT.. my new question is could I manually change the transfer case to 4x4 (once I get a front driveshaft) by taking the motor controller off the transfer case and turn the *** counter clockwise or clockwise and should that not change/engage the 4x4 with out the interior connector, witch Would then make my 4x4 work? Manually lol?