General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

5.7 vortect swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Beginning Member
kylem40 is on a distinguished road
Default 5.7 vortect swap

i have a 99 chevy blazor n it is 4 wheel drive. now i was wondering what i need to all do to swap a 5.7 vortect into it.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Beginning Member
ojosch is on a distinguished road

Start by Googling for places like this:

http://www.s10v8.com/ (go read that whole site)

Try to find the most reputable place of all the places you find. You might find there are more than 1 great supplier of parts. Just start to build a parts list. If you have emissions testing in your area, you may want to build a compliant 5.7 that is fuel injected with all emission controls intact. If you live out in the boonies somewhere you can put a carb on it if you're tight on money. You have to first decide what you want the end result to be before you can build a plan on how to get there. Figure what 'there' is. What is the theme.... Do you want all-out blown, nitroused, injected, emissions legal 10 second truck and money is no object? Or do you just want a stock Camaro engine emission legal swap with a few mild mods, or what? Start there.. Make your plan. What is your goal?

Old 11-29-2009, 01:01 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

^^^ that might be one of the most intelligent first posts i have ever seen

Old 12-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Beginning Member

well i havent really thought of a theme i was just thinking of maybe a decent 5.7 because i want it to be jacked up rather then a race setup. would it be cheaper to go carburated? i dont know much about these things im new at this i havent ever owned a chevy so im tryn to figure out what to do. plus i dont want to make a crazy motor cuz i dont know what to do about the rest of the drive train do i need to beef up the suspension and rear end or would the rear end hold up to a v8 i know ill have to build the tranny up or get a different one im just open for ideas of what anyone would do i wana get rid of the 4.3 vortect in it all ive heard about is that they have problems. so im open for ideas.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Starting Member
butters is an unknown quantity at this point

i know a guy over on cardomain that did that swap in his blazer. send me a PM if you want a link to his page

Old 12-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Beginning Member

im sorry i dont want to sound stupid but whats a pm

Old 12-02-2009, 12:34 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

a PM is a "private message", and you can do it my simply clicking on the members name.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:54 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

sorry for the double post, but i tend to be too thorough with my posts, and at least wanted to get that out to you.

Originally Posted by ojosch
................ you may want to build a compliant 5.7 that is fuel injected with all emission controls intact. If you live out in the boonies somewhere you can put a carb on it if you're tight on money.............
first, there are so many different ways to go with this project, it'll make your head hurt. and if you've never done a conversion like this, and are not very mechanically inclined, then you'll be getting in waaaaay over your head.

simple answer, it's not cheaper going with a carb over FI. and while many believe it's easier to run a carb'd vehicle, it's not always the case. FI is way more manageable for a DD anyways.

but like you asked already (which leads me to believe you're somewhat knowledgeable about what is involved) you'll need to upgrade the whole driveline.

while the trans will bolt up to a SBC, the internal design of the 4.3 trans will never last (long) behind even a bone stock 350. i'm not too sure if the stock t-case will survive either, but should be able to be beefed up internally. and the ECM will need to be flashed with the info for the different engine as well.

and the rear diff is definitely gonna blow up real quick too-hell, i was blowing the rear diff in my '92 every year, behind a stock Z code. and i don't think there's much you can do about the front diff on these trucks either. the only "smart" route to go would be to do a SAS (that's Solid Axle Swap) up front, and put in a larger matching diff out back.

lets see, engine managemant (ECM)-check. upgradd trans-check. possible t-case issues-check. diff failure-check & check.

of yeah, you'll need to upgrade the cooling system too-for the engine, and definitely for the trans. and the drive shafts, both the rear and front too, which could also lead into mismatched yokes sizing.

i think that about does it. but i'm sure there's probably something else i've glossed over to quickly, or missed alltogether.

-hey, not bad! it's only been 19 minutes since i started this post, i'm getting quicker, hahahahahaha!

Old 12-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Beginning Member

wow haha well thanks for the help c im still undecided i just dont know what to do i just want to make sure itll be reliable i have bad luck with cars ive heard that the 4.3s are not that great and then ive been told they arent to bad so i dont know. now can i build the 4.3 up so its better like i want to get a little more power becuase this thing just has no *****. i dont want to race it or anything but i want to build it so it has a little more power and so that itll last. it has 160 thousand miles on it. it runs fine for now but i would like to get some ideas for when it starts going. i just want to make sure its fresh n that itll live quite a while.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Beginning Member

but thanks for the post i dont know if i have all the money for putting a 350 into it theres more then i thought to it oh and what would be a better and stronger tranny and transfer case to put in it? just so that if i take it off road i wont have any problems with them. i know they should probably be ok but just incase i want to take it threw some ruff stuff you know? sorry i might sound stupid haha ive never owned a blazor or something with 4 wheel drive so thanks for working with me here