General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

95 blazer starter grinding

Old 03-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Beginning Member
donniejo32 is on a distinguished road
Default 95 blazer starter grinding

I've grown up in a garage and working on cars all my live, BUT .I bought this blazer in Dec and have had it in the garage waiting for time and money, when I got it the man with broken English said that the starter and bolt was broken. Fine I can fix that, well I pulled it a part and cleaned out the truck and there are a total of 4 starters all with broken heads on them. The starter that was on the truck was hiding one of the problems, the outer boss bolt hole was BROKEN!! I pre heated and mig welded as best as a could the service is flat for good ground. I bought a new starter but it wasn't the same as the 4 others it was larger. Put the new starter in any way and it grinds like nothing I have seen before. One shim two shims, three shims grinding. So I heard that the motor had been swamped to a 98 or 99 4.3 from the 95 4.3. Took that starter back and Swapped it for a 98 starter one shim two shim grind! Truck runs good, sounds nice and I only paid 500 for it didn't come with keys though. the fly wheel is solid and straight. New batteries new spark plugs. Even turned the motor by hand with and with out spark plugs from harmonic wheel and the fly wheel and torch converter. Some one please help

Old 03-03-2013, 05:56 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Have you tryed with no shims?Both my 94 chevy truck and 96 Jimmy use the same engines.I have no shims on either one of them.I take it you got the broken bolt out as well?

Old 03-03-2013, 06:09 PM
Beginning Member

Even with no shims. That's the funny part the bolt wasn't broken. The bolt hole on the block was.
Every thing I read says a 98 starter can work on a 97-99 4.3 motor and some even work for a 96 motor as well

Old 03-04-2013, 05:44 AM

Well your problem has got me stumped.So what your saying is the bolt hole on the engine block is compltely broke off?If so how do you fish that,The block is cast and cant drill a new hole some this leades me to beleive your starter is out of alignment with the flywheel causing your grinding problem.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Beginning Member

I welded the hole pre heating with a touch and welding it up with a junk bolt in it, popped the bolt lose while it was still hot. I didn't have any nickel to weld in first so I had to build up the Weld and grab any metal around the hole to make it stick. The alignment problem you brought up may be it as I built up the bolt hole. Looks like I might have some more filing to do as a grinder isn't going to get in there. This thing has been hunting my dreams. I Always buy broken blazers. Cheaper, and more fun right off the bat

Old 03-04-2013, 05:29 PM

If its a tad bit higher on the oneside where you welded you can try a half of shim on the side where the good hole is.It might just even it up enough to solve your problem.or if you can get an upright grinder you might be able to get into that tight spot and frind it down.can you take some pics?

Old 03-04-2013, 06:52 PM
Beginning Member

Pics would be a good idea. The hardest part is I have no one in my garage with me EVER to help or bounce ideas off. So I can't be under the truck and starting it at the same time. But maybe I can set up my tablet to film the starter as I try and start it.

Brilliant

Old 03-05-2013, 05:29 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

make a bracket for the back side of the starter. for some reason we had 2 s10s and a fullsize chevy come in with this problem within the past 6 months. the outside hole on the block that holds the starter in place were cracked on all 3 trucks, just barely though but it was enough to shake the heck out of the starter on startup though. i thought i had a picture of the one i made but cant find it if i come across it ill post it.

basically at the back side of the starter you should have a stud or a bolt you can take out. make a bracket from that to a bolt on the engine mount. you can get at the area pretty openly though the passenger side wheelwell after removing the tire. it doesnt necessarily repair the problem but it does mask it alot and will make the truck driveable.

the first truck came in we did the same thing, kept breaking starter after starter til we figured out the problem

Old 03-07-2013, 11:42 AM
Beginning Member

I got video of it, although I do not have a bolt on the back that would be big enough for that, I did try a bracket from the broken mount hole on the out side of the starter to the trans bell housing with no change. I don't know how to upload video on this sight. It doesn't look good

Old 03-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Beginning Member

Here the Video is. Https://www.Facebook.com/photo.PHP?v=580082762004282 nope dead link Snafu

Last edited by donniejo32; 03-07-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 blazer starter grinding