General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

'99 Blazer 4dr - 4x4 Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Beginning Member
fink99 is on a distinguished road
Default '99 Blazer 4dr - 4x4 Question

I didn't post this in the mechanical issue section because I'm not sure if it's an actual issue or something normal. I've never owned a 4x4 before , so it's all new to me.

The other day I encountered some harsh weather where I needed to use the 4x4. I have the push button 4x4 , 2HI 4HI and 4lo.

Was freezing rain while driving through Illinois , came out of no where but it happened. Anyway , long story short , I switched into 4HI while in drive and in motion (not sure if I'm supposed to do that lol) light switched and was steady. However after I got past the ice coated interstate/county HWY roads , I switched back into 2wd again while in motion and in drive gear. After about 2 minutes give or take I heard a big clunk , sounded like something hit the undercarriage or maybe the wheel well. Is that normal when switching out of 4x4? Also am I engaging the 4x4 properly?

Old 01-28-2012, 09:16 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

you can engage 4hi on the run I do suggest doing it at a low speed

if its done at high speed something will tend to break sooner or later

and when you disengaged the shaft must of disengaged its self in a bad way
if you dont hear any thing else you should be fine

you might wanna read your owners manual for more information on the 4wd system and how it works

Old 01-28-2012, 09:22 PM
Beginning Member
fink99 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
you can engage 4hi on the run I do suggest doing it at a low speed

if its done at high speed something will tend to break sooner or later

and when you disengaged the shaft must of disengaged its self in a bad way
if you dont hear any thing else you should be fine

you might wanna read your owners manual for more information on the 4wd system and how it works
No owners manual with the vehicle. I was probably going at most 30MPH when I engaged the 4x4. After the clunk sound I didn't hear anything else and feels like it's driving normal.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:27 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

yea the clunk might of been the shaft disengaging

ya might wanna try to invest into a manual
its always good to have one

they should be really cheap ones on ebay

Old 01-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Starting Member
wyzardd is on a distinguished road

I'm just a new guy around here, but you can usually find a copy of the manual online. Probably will be a pdf

Like here

Old 01-29-2012, 12:57 AM
Starting Member
tripovermyego is on a distinguished road

Yea. Im gonna have to agree with xgio. That clunk you heard was than likely the transfer case. Now, this is my personal suggestion and Ive found this out the hard way from a Nissan Pathfinder I had. Whenever I have a vehicle that has electronic hubs and whenever I have to put it in 4wd, I make sure Im doing less than 15mph then I engage. Also, when I put it back in 2hi, I will always back up slowly for a little bit to help the front hubs unlock. Also, whenever you go to use 4LO, MAKE SURE YOU ARE GOING 5MPH OR SLOWER!! I, myself, will stop the vehicle to go into 4LO. And put your transmission into N first!

Old 01-29-2012, 10:03 AM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by tripovermyego
Yea. Im gonna have to agree with xgio. That clunk you heard was than likely the transfer case. Now, this is my personal suggestion and Ive found this out the hard way from a Nissan Pathfinder I had. Whenever I have a vehicle that has electronic hubs and whenever I have to put it in 4wd, I make sure Im doing less than 15mph then I engage. Also, when I put it back in 2hi, I will always back up slowly for a little bit to help the front hubs unlock. Also, whenever you go to use 4LO, MAKE SURE YOU ARE GOING 5MPH OR SLOWER!! I, myself, will stop the vehicle to go into 4LO. And put your transmission into N first!

the truck must be at a full stop and in N for it to be shifted into 4Lo

Old 01-29-2012, 01:02 PM
Starting Member

the truck must be at a full stop and in N for it to be shifted into 4Lo
My Jeep wouldnt shift into 4LO unless it was rolling. But had to be less than 5mph

Old 01-29-2012, 07:19 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by tripovermyego
My Jeep wouldnt shift into 4LO unless it was rolling. But had to be less than 5mph

jeeps and blazers 2 different trucks

Mine wont shift till the truck is stopped

Old 01-30-2012, 11:32 AM
Starting Member

jeeps and blazers 2 different trucks

Mine wont shift till the truck is stopped
Mine will shirt into 4LO rolling. Hmmm, maybe theres more wrong with my truck than I thought.

Quick Reply: '99 Blazer 4dr - 4x4 Question