General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Airbag sensors

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 10:11 PM
melliferal is on a distinguished road
Default Airbag sensors

The previous owner of my Jimmy got in some kind of tangle, messed up the front end. He replaced the radiator support, grill, headlights, and hood with some S-10 parts. Since the passenger side fender is also damaged but he decided not to replace it, he had to "modify" (read: bend and cut) the radiator support a little in order to get it to bolt in and as a result nothing on the front end fits quite right. It's difficult to explain - just believe me that the whole shebang needs to be replaced by someone with a little more pride in his work. I'm dreading the day one of my headlights goes out because I'm going to need to take off the grill and completely remove the S-10 headlight assembly just to replace a bulb. Anyway...

I'm thinking of possibly doing the 98+ conversion while I'm replacing all that. But whether or not I do, I've got this problem where the vehicle currently does not have any airbag sensors on the radiator support - the connectors are just dangling there; and of course the AIRBAG light in the IC is just shining away. Now in places where I've seen descriptions of the 98+ conversion job, some of them stress the importance if you use a junkyard radiator support that you remove the airbag sensors on the donor support and replace them with the ones from your original vehicle. I can't do that obviously, because I just don't have the original sensors. So my question: can I just get any -97 Jimmy/Blazer/S-10 sensors from the junkyard and use them? Or is there another place that sells replacements? Don't seem to be carried by the dealer anymore, and just removing the fuse so I don't have to look at the light anymore isn't my kind of solution.