General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Another one down

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:45 AM
Beginning Member
jonnyisback is on a distinguished road
Default Another one down

Last night while coming home from school (night class) i was going around a curve when a deer (~170lbs) jumped out in front of me. Hit it doing 55 and royally screwed my truck. I think its totaled being kbb is only 3000 on it and basically the whole front end needs to be replaced. If so i think ill be getting a full size gmc or chevy. heres some pics.

Attached Thumbnails Another one down-pic-1.jpg   Another one down-pic-2.jpg   Another one down-pic-3.jpg  
Old 10-20-2010, 08:51 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

I know that all too well man... Be sure to check cars.com and the local listings and show comprable blazers to the adjuster... Got me about 1500 more...

Old 10-20-2010, 08:53 AM
m3ch is on a distinguished road

you know, our trucks have some of the worst crash safety ratings.........they seem to hold up well

Last edited by m3ch; 10-20-2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: fixin stuff
Old 10-20-2010, 08:55 AM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

OK Take a step back and take a deep breath. I got my 95 in Feb 2009. It looked EXACTLY like what you have now. Now granted I have a pick a part lot (well two) near by. I had to replace both fenders, the hood, the radiator and radiator frame, and the fan, oh and the water pump, to fix the mess. And the bumper as it hit a car. looks like you can save your bumper. I had to do some straightening on the bumper mounts by hooking a chain to a big tree and doing some hard reverses. But it CAN be saved. That much cost me $45 for each fender. $50 for the hood. $80 for the radiator frame. $30 for the radiator. $35 for a new water pump and $25 for a new fan. Oh and $15 for both headlight sockets, the mounts were still good. I bought it on a friday and exactly two weeks later I took it on a trip from Tx to NY for a month. Now I still haven't replaced the a/c radiator. That'll be next spring. But don't give up on the bug.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by m3ch
you know, for out truck to have some of the worst crash safety ratings.........they seem to hold up well
Amen to that brother.

Just a point of reference. Here is mine circa Feb 2, 2009

Look familiar? (I actually drove it from Austin to Houston just like this.)

And here is how she looked a couple days before the NY trip two weeks later.

I have more in my pics on here.

Last edited by cage47; 10-20-2010 at 09:04 AM. Reason: getting pics in
Old 10-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Banned
djerock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jonnyisback
Last night while coming home from school (night class) i was going around a curve when a deer (~170lbs) jumped out in front of me. Hit it doing 55 and royally screwed my truck. I think its totaled being kbb is only 3000 on it and basically the whole front end needs to be replaced. If so i think ill be getting a full size gmc or chevy. heres some pics.
that's how bad mine looked.. and it really isn't all the hard to fix or that much. i bet you could fix it for 1k or less

Old 10-20-2010, 12:39 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by djerock
that's how bad mine looked.. and it really isn't all the hard to fix or that much. i bet you could fix it for 1k or less
Amen.....

Hell, just running down to neals and spending like 400 will get you almost all the parts (been there once or twice lol)

Old 10-22-2010, 01:02 AM
Beginning Member

Insurance guy will be here well today (friday) to take a look at it. From what i can see without digging into it, looks like it needs new light harness, bumper, both fenders, hood, hood hinges, my passenger door wont open, bumper valence, 2 headlights, signals and grill. Just about crushed my cai which i took out since i still have the stock one.

Battery was punctured so theres acid everywhere. Trans cooler got crushed as well as the radiator and the radiator got shoved into the front of the engine so its hard to say what it did to the engine. Trans fluid is empty as well as radiator so hopefully it didnt damage the tranny. the whole front end got shoved in about 8" from what i can tell. Passenger side frame looks like its bent a little, or at least where the bumper mounts.

My engine was already leaking oil at a increasing rate as time goes on so if they total it i dont plan on fixing it unless i get enough to 1. rebuild engine or 2. do a v8 swap and fix the truck correctly, which both are pretty doubtful. Nonetheless it sucks......

Old 10-22-2010, 07:47 AM

Yeah, that does suck. Can't say much about the leaking oil. Depends on where it was leaking. For the door, It looks like the whole passenger fender got pushed back into the door and possibly bent the hinge back. This is what happened to mine. But I was able to get the door open and straighten the hinge back out. I had to add some spacers to the door seals but it's fine otherwise. You might not have it so lucky. If you can't get the door open it'll be a bugger to get the fender off as there are two bolts inside the gap. Unless you just undo the rest of the bolts and rip the fender apart. Then you could (possibly) get the hinge bent back in place to get the door open.

As far as the radiator. The worst (In my opinion) that you could be looking at is a trashed water pump. I'd be very suprised to see it had done any structural damage to the block. But with the CIA I'd take a close look at the condition of the intake.

In all I'd let the insurance junk it and then use the cash to rebuild it as a offroad beater. Or part it. Since you have the 2000. Unless you're adventurous. But from your tone you sound resigned to it being done.

Wait, from the pics....it's the 2000 that got hit????? not the 94? same difference either way but that makes it suck more.

Last edited by cage47; 10-22-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Beginning Member

the 1994 got totaled when i joined the form about march of 09, i bought the 2000 to replace it and its the 2000 that got hit. Every time i buy new tires.... Its a 2wd so not much i can do to it for off-roading, not my thing anyways.

Quick Reply: Another one down