General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Anyone need an ELECTRIC S-10? Check it out...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 06:45 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone need an ELECTRIC S-10? Check it out...

Saw this on my local Craigs List. I wouldn't mind going out that way and taking a look at it just for fun.
http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/1516929428.html

this is a 91 chevy s10 electric truck converted to run on batteries and no stinky gasoline. it is driven daily and will travel 30 plus miles before needing a charge (farther than i commute daily) and goes 60 mph.--full charge from low is 4 to 5 hrs call mike at 315 879 7165 to come drive it.i live in newark zip 14513 about 35 mi from roch. i also have an electric geo metro and an electric dune buggy for sale and they are easily charged daily by the sun-solar panels on my roof

Old 01-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I've driven one of those! That one isn't too far from me.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:20 PM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I've driven one of those! That one isn't too far from me.
So what was your impression?

Old 01-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't pay that much for it. As far as driving it, it was a heavy pig. It would get up and go about as well as the I4 s10 with a butt load of batteries in the back.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

"and no stinky gasoline" Bet ya $50 I can tell you who that guy voted for.

Hey, maybe one day electric vehicles will work as batteries get better and better, but 30 miles and 4 to 5 hrs to charge for this vehicle, but on some 6-12 hours to charge. I'm sorry, but I'm not sold. I would much rather see a fuel cell version as I have heard that fuel cell vehicles are much peppier and you can fillup and go like you can with a gasoline car.

Just my two cents.

Regards,

Thomas

Old 01-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Question

So would a person save money with one of these? How long is the expected life cycle of the batteries? Plus you still have to buy new bateries to replace old and worn out batteries that won't hold a charge; right? Having to charge the batteries 5-7 hours before you could go anywhere (30 mile range right?) I hope an emergency don't come up or hope you have a spare ev charged and ready to go.

So an ev like this one with a driving style like mine hmm...
Without having a spare vehicle I would probably get stranded somewhere or be getting yelled at by someone for stealing power by some means so that I could get home just to plug it in again. Good thing that my power is hydro from the dams. Make it easier on the proposed carbon tax, how would I fare if I was somewhere else without hydro?

Old 01-15-2010, 11:58 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Really? hmm... you know what the best mod for one of those would be?
A thermite boost to the "engine"

Old 01-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Thumbs up

Would that 'mod' happen to take place after seeing the adjusted power bill for having to constantly charge that ev?

Old 01-16-2010, 01:16 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

no i just like the "stinky gasoline smell" of a burning car

Old 01-16-2010, 01:39 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bigkhans
So would a person save money with one of these? How long is the expected life cycle of the batteries? Plus you still have to buy new bateries to replace old and worn out batteries that won't hold a charge; right? Having to charge the batteries 5-7 hours before you could go anywhere (30 mile range right?) I hope an emergency don't come up or hope you have a spare ev charged and ready to go.

actually, there's a big move to "lease" the batteries, instead of buying them outright. the technoligy in some of these new batteries is really something, and their range is getting better and better.

the biggest problem (next to consumers sticking to gas powered vehicles) is the government. they have such strict legislation in place for an electric vehicle (and can change the requirements @ any given notice) that it makes it near impossible for any company to market one, unless they're one of the top 5 car companies.

don't get me wrong, i'll never give up my gas & diesel powered vehicles, but if i lived in a major city, and only drove within those city limits, then why wouldn't i want to get an electric vehicle to drive around in?

Quick Reply: Anyone need an ELECTRIC S-10? Check it out...