General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Armor all taking off the paint of my dash!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 03:44 PM
stevenf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Armor all taking off the paint of my dash!

I have a 97 Jimmy with tan interior. When I got it, it was GROSS! The owner had never cleaned it the entire time he had it. Whenever I used armor all on the dash, the white rag kept getting small tan spots on it. I thought this was dirt at first. The dash has a few tiny cracks so I was hoping to apply armor all very often to hopefully stop them from getting bigger and give the dash that gloss appearence so the cracks werent noticable. I applied it today and the rag was worse then the other times. IT WAS SLOWLY TAKING THE COLOR AWAY!
Have yall had this type of problem with your blazer/jimmy interior? What would you recommend shining it with?

Old 04-29-2008, 04:10 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Armor all taking off the paint of my dash!

I think what's coming off is the corroded, dried out, gummed-up colorant that was used in the dash material and is now deteriorated due to the previous owner's neglect. Probably any liquid rubbed into the dash surface is going to remove it. I would try letting the Armor-All just soak in and gently wipe off the excess.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:26 PM

So you think its only on the surface and will stop coming off eventually if I continue to use armor all?

Old 04-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Has the vehicle been smoked in?

Even if it hasn't, in some cases, I have seen vehicles with a layer of grime over pretty much all horizontal surfaces. Nothing but elbow grease and time to clean it all up.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:39 PM

there is a sigerette hole in the carpet, but the "grime" is the exact color of the dash.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

I am done with ARMOR ALL...I quit using that crap on anything but tires in 1971 when it ruined thevinyl top of my 1970 Grand Prix. Recently , I quit using Armor Allon tires because if you get overspray on the wheels, it will combinewith disc brake dust and forms a compound similar totar that even a high pressurecar wash cannot remove.I have found that Eagle One Etching Mag wheel cleaner will dissolve that compound instantly but that producthas been discontinued because of the high acid content and the possibility injuryresulting from misuse.One needs to buyall the Eagle One Etching Mag WheelCleaner that can be found on shelvesbecause it will soon be gone.However, there are some good products on the market now that are specifically designed for tires, wheels and interiors. Meguiar's has goodproducts for those applications but whatever you use, don't use Armor All anymore.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:23 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I'm not big on Armor All either.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:37 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

You sure somebody hasn't replaced the dash and its the paint/dye from where they recolored it?