General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Auto Parts Rant

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 08:37 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
^^^ yes!!

does anyone here find that they have to file all brake pads (steel portion) from autozone to fit properly on the caliper?
just get them from orielly, autozone sucks!

Old 03-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

The local AutoZone store by me is a hub store. They pretty well know what they're doing. On the other hand, I have been known to make my displeasure known in no uncertain terms if they act like an idiot. On the other hand, I get parts for unusual stuff. I sold my Mercedes 380SL back in December. Now I have a 1955 T-bird getting worked on in my garage. In the past, I've gotten parts for a sand rail dune buggy, a 1952 B3PW Dodge Powerwagon, 1971 Triumph Stag, Chrysler 300K (non-ram), VW Beetles, '72 SS El Camino and some really obscure stuff too.

When they put a warranty into the system for me, I always quote my favorite movie. "I'm like a rash all over that computer". About half of the folks there are old enough to remember that movie.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:49 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richphotos
just get them from orielly, autozone sucks!
I have had better luck with oriely`s myself.If they do screw up I donthave to walkas far.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

This is why I do all my research online and find the exact part number for the part I need then I order it online most of the time through advance cause its closets and they have good online coupons. If I'm not in a hurry for the part I will order it from rock auto and just wait for it!

Old 03-19-2013, 09:24 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
I have had better luck with oriely`s myself.If they do screw up I donthave to walkas far.
That is the only place I go to is orielly unless its something REALLY expensive that I dont need right away and can get cheaper on rock auto.
The guys that work at the orielly I go to, know their stuff. and, most of them I know and have blazers or s10's LOL, so it works perfect.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:26 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rexmburns
This is why I do all my research online and find the exact part number for the part I need then I order it online most of the time through advance cause its closets and they have good online coupons. If I'm not in a hurry for the part I will order it from rock auto and just wait for it!

Yea Its hard to find parts for snow plows on their sites tho. I bought it before mine took a **** and guess what It took a **** and now my plow is down during a storm.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

In my town we have O'Reilly's and AutoZone. The O'Reilly's used to be Schuck's before the merger. They were always staffed by drooling idiots. If I called to find a part and they set it aside for me by the time I showed up five minutes later they had lost it. I got the wrong part many times in a row. They asked stupid questions and generally knew less about cars than I did. When AutoZone opened I was ecstatic. Sure, a lot of the parts they have are corn-encrusted turds, but the people there are ten times smarter than the people at O'Reilly's. I know many of the AutoZoners personally and Bret always knows what I'm looking for since he owns a '95 S10 4x4 pickup.

That said, I've gotten the wrong parts from AutoZone on occasion. Since they're only two minutes from my house I don't mind too much. However, I prefer going to a real auto parts store like CarQuest or National Auto Parts where they have old guys at the counter who have actually torn apart a small-block Chevy and know the difference between a 305 and an Olds 307.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:45 AM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

For you guys that are told "we dont stock it"
I blew a brake line on my car
I had a roll of 3/16 line at home but no line nuts or unions
I went to the closest Canadian Tire
Kid behind the counter tells me "they dont stock it"
Keep in mind there is a 20 bay shop attached to this place
I told the kid if they dont stock them they better close the doors , go back and check again LOL
He eventually got one of the mechanics in the shop to show him

Old 03-20-2013, 05:52 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I usually have good luck when I go to autozone, but I don't really go often anymore.

I did go last night and the two counter people were having a conversation about someone outside who was towing a car with a tow strap. I listened for a min. and when they said there was going to be a car for sale in the parking lot with a blown tranny in 5 min I took a look and saw what they were talking about. Sure enough the car being towed was not in neutral, but clearly in reverse. I just thought to my self 'these guys are retards for not stopping them in the parking lot when they first noticed the issue. Instead they just gibber jabbered at each other while the guy drove off.' So my faith in their common decency has taken a hit for sure.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:27 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

^^^^a lot of things that should be common are now rare.

decency....sense...courtsey.

yeah, i am guessing since you ditched the blazer your not there a lot.

and yes rockauto is where i get my bigger items. i know they will take care of me and have in the past.

Quick Reply: Auto Parts Rant