General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

awd/4wd/2wd

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:23 PM
ltown21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: awd/4wd/2wd

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

If you have a two speed transfercase (i.e. 4LO), you did not have SmartTrak/Autotrac as this was only applied to the single speed AWD transfercase. Any vehicle with 4LO also has 2HI which means it can be tested on a 2wd dyno and would not have a sticker stating otherwise.

?? I have a two speed transfercase and have t he sticker on the radiator shroud? weird

Old 12-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you have 4LO, then you have 2HI. Someone could have just slapped it on there, or someone could have put a radiator shroud from an AWD truck onto it. Either way, it really doesn't belong there as the truck can be tested on a 2wd dyno in 2HI.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Banned
felonyblazer96 is an unknown quantity at this point

can you give me a estimate on how many of the 96 blazers are like mine?

[/align]

Old 12-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No way to tell without contacting GM and even then I doubt they'd give out those records. Doesn't make your truck a collectable or anything.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Beginning Member
95blackblaze is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok lets see here;

The most common 4 wheel drive system that we have is the part time one. The transfer case that does that for us is either the NP231 (manual) or the NP233 (electric). For a select few they have a BW1372 or BW4472. These units are a full time viscous coupler that came in the Astro / Safari , Syclone/ Typhoon and wait for it---- 1991 through 1997 Bravadas. Please correct me if I am wrong but the BW units are not 2 speed (HI/LO) that I know of.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Administrator

The BW units are single speed only.

After '97, New Venture Gear started supplying GM for the S-series and vehicles with common drivetrains. NVG136 is the single speed automatic transfer case used in the Bravada's and other AWD equiped mini trucks. NVG233 is the 2 speed selectable and NVG236 is the 2 speed automatic, the NVG233 being the most common in the earlier years.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Tippman7641 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

ORIGINAL: Tippman7641

i think it was called smarttrack or something, casue when we bought it my uncle whos a good mechenic said it had some special traction system, above what other blazers do(he didnt mean the auto4wd)
and no i mean the stiker that says do not TEsT on a 2wd dyno
SmartTrak is the AWD system as it is called for the Bravada. Autotrac is what it was called on the Blazer after '99 that is and the system was identical to that used in the Bravada.

If you have a two speed transfercase (i.e. 4LO), you did not have SmartTrak/Autotrac as this was only applied to the single speed AWD transfercase. Any vehicle with 4LO also has 2HI which means it can be tested on a 2wd dyno and would not have a sticker stating otherwise.

Prior to '97, the AWD transfercase was fulltime with a 35/65 split F/R. In '97, the AWD system was redesigned for better operation. The new system ran in RWD until slip was detected at which time it would transfer power to the wheels with grip.

As far as the AWD system being offered in Blazer's go, I have found that it was an available documented option in '95 on the LT model Blazer. This option was not documented in '96, but still available through special order until '99 where it was again documented.

I thought I had a picture of the sticker from my old Bravada, but I do not. I do believe it is practically identical to the sticker used on my Rainier though.
i dont doubt u but i stronlgly rember there being a sticler on it stating that let me check

Old 12-02-2007, 06:11 PM

AHH here it is

Old 12-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Administrator

That sticker is different from the AWD sticker which specifically states, All Wheel Drive.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:01 PM

well i mean... yeah its still there lol, so u even though its not the same it cant be run on a 2wd dyno, which honestly i dont get becsue as long as u dont hit the auto the 4lo or 4wd buttons it wont change on its own, so it should still be able to be used on a 2wd dyno

Quick Reply: awd/4wd/2wd