General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Back end fishtail

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 09:33 PM
LadyD is on a distinguished road
Default Back end fishtail

I have a 2000 blazer, that has major fishtailing , traction is lousey in the snow, even in 4wheel. Tires are not new but good ones from the look of them. Is it possible the back end needs to be waited down, should I get heavier tires? What other if any reasons could it.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Starting Member
tenorsaxdude is on a distinguished road

Are you sure you're getting power to the fronts?

Got good tread?

Using nonaggression input?

Old 12-14-2014, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by tenorsaxdude
Are you sure you're getting power to the fronts?

Got good tread?

Using nonaggression input?

Thank you for responding
The tires have good tread yes, not sure what nonaggression input is . Sorry don't know car lingo....

Old 12-14-2014, 11:47 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Are you sure 4WD is working?

Old 12-14-2014, 12:10 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LadyD
...not sure what nonaggression input is..
Me either, but I would imagine he means easing into the throttle and gently turning the steering wheel.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:39 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

My 05 came with Michelin all season tires on it that were good enough to pass a safety inspection
They scared the crap out of me to drive in the snow

I swapped out for a new set of tires and it was night and day difference
My wife generally drives the truck in winter and is convinced it will never get stuck

Might be an idea to stop by a smaller reputable tire shop and have them check the tires for you

OR post a picture of the tire tread and a picture of the tread with a quarter standing in the tread showing the head side of the quarter to give us an idea of how much tread is left

Lots of winter tires are marketed as winter but more of a ice tire and not so great in snow

Last edited by rexazz2; 12-14-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:44 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

G80 rearend maybe

Old 12-14-2014, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Are you sure 4WD is working?
I can't say for sure that it's working, it's wasn't when I bought it we changed the switch and now I can hear what sounds like a change, but I could be wrong.

I'll try the the place have them check me all out, I'm very uncomfortable with as is when there's snow on the ground, any other time she drives like a dream....
Thank you for your help!

Old 12-14-2014, 08:48 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rexazz2
My 05 came with Michelin all season tires on it that were good enough to pass a safety inspection
They scared the crap out of me to drive in the snow

I swapped out for a new set of tires and it was night and day difference
My wife generally drives the truck in winter and is convinced it will never get stuck

Might be an idea to stop by a smaller reputable tire shop and have them check the tires for you

OR post a picture of the tire tread and a picture of the tread with a quarter standing in the tread showing the head side of the quarter to give us an idea of how much tread is left

Lots of winter tires are marketed as winter but more of a ice tire and not so great in snow
I cant agree with you here, I have had Michelin LTX MS on the jimmy in MN with out a problem for the second winter. They handle 17-20" snow storms with out a problem.
Also, an easier way to check the tire tread is a penny. Works better than a quarter. Put the head upside down in the tire tread, if you can see all of Lincolns head, you need new tires. If you are unable to see the whole head, they do not need replacing quite yet.

anyways, i would guess that your 4wd is not working.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:27 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by richphotos
I cant agree with you here, I have had Michelin LTX MS on the jimmy in MN with out a problem for the second winter. They handle 17-20" snow storms with out a problem.
Not sure what Michelin tire they were , 99% sure the were not LTX MS
Just a regular all season tire

Quick Reply: Back end fishtail