General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Best way to fix 2000 GMC Jimmy Diamond Edition HID headlight?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:55 PM
JeRM is on a distinguished road
Default Best way to fix 2000 GMC Jimmy Diamond Edition HID headlight?

Passenger side HID headlight burned out and so I've found out after so much hassle that it's a HID and that the bulb isn't removable....soooooooo I have to replace the igniter/ballast *so i believe as of now*

Whats the best way to go about this situation?

My good friend says not to buy any Xenon conversion kit on ebay cuz they are sucky and that I should just buy some NEW HID models from him which would be reliable.

What yaw think?

Old 04-21-2010, 06:10 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I have a GMC Jimmy Diamond edition and I had the same problem. There are three options.

1. Buy OEM ballast and bulb at very high cost. It is cheaper to buy the whole headlight assy. that includes the bulb and ballast. (I replaced bulb and ballast before I realized that the whole headlight assy. would have been less expensive.) If you buy the whole assy. then you would have nice new and clear lenses as well as new bulb and ballast. To replace the bulb and ballast I removed the front push bar and the bumper cover. The replacement was very easy with the bumper cover removed. (I like keeping things OEM but this was expensive for headlights)

2. Buy after market HID conversion kit, the only thing you would need to add would be the 9006 bulb retainer and a way to secure the bulb retainer to the HID headlight assy. (Get the bulb retainer from the junkyard) This would be the cheapest and would plug into the existing harness and retain the HID headlights. (I would remove the bumper cover and mount the ballast on the same bracket that the OEM ballast is mounted to)

3. Buy non HID headlights and use 9006 halogen bulbs. (Use 9006 bulbs in the HID headlight assy. you would need to attach the 9006 retainer to the HID headlights)

The HID bulb is held on the the Headlight assy with security torx bits. I purshased a small set of security torx bits from Harbour Freight Tools. The Original bulb wire is held onto the ballast assy with a smalll allen screw or the same torx screws (I can not remember). The problem is GM has changed the Bulb/ballast design so you need to purschase the current bulb and ballast assy. If you want to keep it OEM. There are no suppliers other than GM for the OEM Bulb and Ballast assy. It is a D1S bulb but the way the bulb is held to the headlight assy. is unique for GM. I was in sticker schock when I purchased my GMC Diamond edition and the passenger light was out and I did not realize it untill I got the car home. Then I was not familier with the HID setup and what I needed to fix it.

Hope this helps.

GMPartsCenter.Net has good prices and resonable shipping costs. If you want OEM.

Last edited by mr.vls; 04-21-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:49 PM
dd5k is on a distinguished road

look for "hid D1S or D2S" that will fit in to your headlights. then you need a stock jimmy head light harness to hook up the new hid lights.

or if your sick of the hid lights get the clips off (s10,blazer,jimmy) that hold the light bulbs in. and just have regular light bulbs in there

or sell them to me

::edit::
BUT you will still have to get a new harness.
whoever add that to my post is wrong!!
you do not need a new harness!!
WTF DON'T EDIT ME

Last edited by dd5k; 04-23-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS<nope!
Old 09-28-2010, 11:57 PM

After driving around for like 9 months with one headlight, my buddy's brother bought some xenon hid's and hooked up the lights for me!

he had to splice the wire from the driver side and ran it to the passenger side so both headlights worked correctly.

god! this was such a ridiculous task to solve due to these outdated HID bulbs that came standard on the Diamond edition!!!!

FML!

Old 09-29-2010, 04:17 AM

The biggest problem is that the HID bulbs used on the Diamond Edition are not standard HID bulbs and you can not get them from any where (New) but from GM. Most people that do not know this just say get the correct D1S/D1R bulb. I purschased a set of used HID Diamond headlights from the S10 Wharehouse on EBAY. The headlights came with the OEM replacement ballasts and HID bulbs and were much clearer than my existing headlights. I have both headlights installed and working with the OEM bulbs/ballasts and I have a spare ballast & bulb for some time in the future when one goes out. I should be good for a long time, I hope.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 AM

mr.vls do you still have your old ones with out ballast? just the head light part? ill buy your old ones

Old 09-29-2010, 11:12 AM

Yes I do, Make me an offer and cover the shipping. I can include the HID Factory Harness as well. The harness came with the headllights but I do not need since I have a HID Harness.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:30 PM

it will not let me pm you but you can email dickinson.david.5k@gmail.com

Old 09-29-2010, 06:43 PM

Email Sent

Old 04-22-2012, 10:39 AM

Hey Mr.vls, my passenger headlight is out again. It only lasted a year for being spliced and running off the driver side xenon hid ballast for power since the origi.al passenger side gmc ballast was dead.

Did the guy ever buy your old kit? Id be interested in buying it if not. Im sick of these headlights...maybe I can find oem hid's on ebay :/

Quick Reply: Best way to fix 2000 GMC Jimmy Diamond Edition HID headlight?