General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Best year to have

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 09:35 PM
Marc Williams is on a distinguished road
Default Best year to have

What's best year blaxer there is all things considered. Let's say I wanted the best variation gm made. No aftermarket stuff. Best year for 4x4., Would be my pic.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:08 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

2003-05 Blazer ZR2, no egr.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:23 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Need more qualifiers here as that's a highly subjective question without other factors that you are taking into consideration.

But hey, here's my pick:

Old 04-11-2020, 10:40 AM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AJBert
2003-05 Blazer ZR2, no egr.
The EGR function is built into the cam profile, so you can’t even disable it. But, for any owners of those years, I’d definitely recommend a mild cam and tune

Old 04-11-2020, 11:17 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Need more qualifiers here as that's a highly subjective question without other factors that you are taking into consideration.

But hey, here's my pick:
My '74 was probably the best vehicle I've ever owned, or at least my favorite. I'd love to have a first gen someday, too (I did have a '71 K10 about a million years ago that I never should have sold.)

Old 04-11-2020, 03:29 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

For second gen Blazers, it depends on what you "mission" is. I wanted a 4 door for the space. But for off-roading, the ZR-2 is the way to go.

If looking for a 4-dr, I would say it comes down to the options as the drive-trains and engines were similar for all the 2-gens (except where noted below). I think I lucked out on the options list for mine when I found it. You can see some of them below in my signature but here I'll relist the ones I like and why:
  • Practical options characteristics:
    • 4-button/Auto 4wd: I like having the option of the auto-4wd when the road is a mix of pavement and packed snow and ice.
    • 3.73:1 axle ratios: This is the lowest gearing you can get in a non-ZR-2. I use my truck for towing and going to the woods and secondarily as a daily driver (except in the winter).
    • Locking rear end: This makes the truck more off-pavement capable.
    • Heated seats: Really nice on those cold winter mornings. Some might say this more of a nice amenity but I'll put it here anyway.
    • Engine-block heater: I've only ever needed this one winter out of the last 10 but I'm glad I have it.
    • The ZW7 Premium suspension: I could go either way on this. The self-leveling shocks are nice for towing though.
  • Characteristics by year:
    • MPFI (for post ~2001): When I had the top end of the engine apart to do the LIM gaskets, I replaced the fuel injection system to this more reliable one.
    • Good LIM gaskets (for post ~2001): In the mid- to late-90s the LIM gaskets used were prone to catastrophically failing and ruining the engine.
  • Nice amenities
    • In-dash radio/CD player with the remote cassette player: This does everything I need and I can put a cassette to AUX-input adapter in the cassette player. The remote 6 CD player would not be so nice. They also had a Bose stereo system but that is not so important to me.
    • Steering wheel radio controls: This has been nice too.
    • Power-leather seats: Nice to have but I do have covers on them. The power feature is really nice to have.
But then there are things you can do to these 4drs too, like a lift and larger tires, adding an external spare-tire carrier, etc.

Old 04-12-2020, 12:27 AM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road

The 95-97s look better, with chrome and small headlights (supposedly ALL the Blazer headlights do not light well. I've been there. Pitch black roads, sometimes you are driving with the brights on and it's like "I still cant really see") at least I think so. (The 98s and up could be said to look "cheaper." There is also difference on the license plate lights. I am convinced that is why the guy sold this truck.. Rear view mirror fell off, could not pass inspection because license plate bulb out and hanging from a wire, that was my first project with this truck and I was able to solve it . 98 and up, I would have had readily available parts to fix. 96? Not so...)

The 1999 ? and laters are supposed to have the "better" fuel injection.

It is possible to put the "newer" spiders on a 96 and later (I always thought 96 and later had the newer spiders. I suppose I was wrong) as well as get new upgraded Lower Intake Manifold gaskets on an older one but.. as Christine said, a 2003 and later (end of line 2005) have REALLY nice options, and an LT sure is a different vehicle than a more "normal" LS.

I've had both. I like the luxury ones. But now I have a 96 LS. So... hey.

Any year with leather that has the look you want, features you want and works good...

Old 04-12-2020, 03:40 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

I go with the 74 K5. Would love one of these.

Old 04-12-2020, 09:50 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

I forgot to add, for my 1999, the LT package comes with lots of goodies like fog-lights.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:47 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

I would rec. the 2003- and up for the improved spider. 1996 up for the improved cylinder head design plus OBD II. Some of the newer years have no EGR like my 2003. I like the looks and convenience of the 4 door, some prefer the 2 door for the enhanced off road capabilities. By the way, not all 2 doors are ZR2, . I have a 2 door LS with automatic. You could find a 2 door LS easier and at a lower price. It has all the potential that the ZR2 has. Finding a ZR2 with a manual trans would be very hard to find. So some of these choices are personal taste preferences and some more practical issues. So it is up to you to decide.

Quick Reply: Best year to have