General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Which is better 4.3L vortec or supercharged 3.8L?

Old 04-20-2011, 12:22 PM
exofis is on a distinguished road
Question Which is better 4.3L vortec or supercharged 3.8L?

I was wondering which engine is better to put money into my wife's 4.3L vortec or my supercharged 3.8L grand prix?? I dont' mean to offend anyone just wanted to know which to start with. Kinda wanted to put a supercharger in the blazer but wasn't sure if it would be worth it in the long run. Thanks for your input.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Considering that the HUGE aftermarket (in comparison to the 4.3L) for building up the L67 engine, I would put the money into the GP. The 4.3L engine has a very small aftermarket which means that a lot of stuff is considerably more expensive.

I wish I never sold my '01 Bonneville SSEi!

Old 04-20-2011, 12:30 PM
exofis is on a distinguished road

would the supercharger even be a good idea for the blazer??

Old 04-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I do not believe that anyone currently makes a roots type supercharger like what the L67 uses for the 4.3L engine. The only kit that I know of for a supercharger is a centrifugal supercharger. A few members have them and a few others have put a turbo on their 4.3L.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:10 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I do not believe that anyone currently makes a roots type supercharger like what the L67 uses for the 4.3L engine. The only kit that I know of for a supercharger is a centrifugal supercharger. A few members have them and a few others have put a turbo on their 4.3L.
BDS makes a blower kit that can be used on a 4.3, if you don't mind having it sticking out of your hood

Can l67 superchargers be adapted to other engines?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Anything can be done with time & money. The M90 has a front drive with a very long extension and rear intake orientation. The majority of the fab would be in creating a new lower intake manifold (or just an adapter between a marine lower intake & the S/C) as well as a intake inlet into the supercharger provided there would be enough room at the back of the engine. You would probably have to go with a distributorless ignition system and would definitely have to reconfigure the injection setup. Then you have to get a belt onto it.

I do not believe that the BDS setup will bolt up to the 96+ heads so to be able to use the $4k kit, you may have to swap to the older heads or re-machine your heads for the older intake bolt pattern. BDS has surprisingly little information about their 4-71 v6 kit...

Old 04-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Starting Member
Mczuk is on a distinguished road

Here's a supergharged blazer for ya!

http://www.customshop.org/html/forsa..._for_sale.html

Last edited by Mczuk; 04-20-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Starting Member
myprixxx is on a distinguished road

I agree with the first response, the L67 and L32 still continue to have a huge aftermarket following. Clubgp.com, Grandprixforums.net, GPONA.com, etc all have huge amounts of information on modding the 3800. If you just want to look at parts foor these cars there is wbodystore.com zzperformance.com 3800performance.com pfyc.com and through a company called intense racing. You can pull a decent amount of power out of the 3.8s for realativley little money

Old 04-20-2011, 06:56 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

What I know from my experience is I would prefer a 3.8 to a 4.3. The 4.3 is a good engine but outdated. From the people I know the 3.8 is pretty much bullet proof.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Starting Member
myprixxx is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I beat the hell out of mine everytime I drive it and it never complains

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which is better 4.3L vortec or supercharged 3.8L?