General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

From a Blazer, to a Benz

Old 06-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Starting Member
blown262 is on a distinguished road
Default From a Blazer, to a Benz

Sorry to say it, but I am no longer a Blazer owner I had a very rare opportunity to trade up to a Mercedes, and I am honestly very glad I did. I sold my 1998 for what I paid ($1100) and traded my 01 for a 1 owner, fully loaded 1996 (shhhh) E300 Diesel. What a night and day difference. These Germans know how to engineer a vehicle! By far the best ride of any car I have ever driven. I brought it home a few weeks ago, and since it was raining out today, I went to the spot I usually went with my Blazers for some off road fun. Yes, off roading in a Benz :P Yea the Blazers definitely win in that aspect, as the Benz has traction control that is permanently armed. Other than that, the gas mileage is INCREDIBLE! If you read my novel of a thread last year, you'll know that I've been trying relentlessly to get decent mileage out of my Blazers, and at the end of my ownership of them, my 2 door got 17 average and the 4 door got a meager 14MPG. I was filling up once a week per truck, and at $70 a fillup, it was insane. Now this guy on the other hand, has the same size tank, but gets around 27-28MPG average with 36-37MPG on long highway pulls. it still costs $70 to fill up, but going 500+ miles to a tank means I fill up once every 3 weeks! All that mileage comes at the expense of almost 60HP and 100lb/ft of torque, and man can you feel it. This thing is a dog, but its cruising comfort and mileage more than make up for it. Plus, I love the smell of diesel in the morning

Attached Thumbnails From a Blazer, to a Benz-img_1409_zps136832b9.jpg   From a Blazer, to a Benz-img_1411_zpsc3899bd3.jpg  
Old 06-08-2013, 10:58 AM
WitchingHour is an unknown quantity at this point

You sold us out.
Unfortunately, that engine was engineered to LS diesel, rather than ULSD, which, for pre-07 diesel owners (I know the EU went to ULSD before the US, but I don't think they were using it by 1996) is that they won't get the service life out of their engines which they would get using LS diesel. So the 500k 5.9 Cummins is a thing of the past.
Upkeep will be a little more expensive, and make sure you get oil specifically engineered for diesel engines. 15W-30 or -40 is pretty commonly used as an "all around" for diesel engines. Most diesel oil you get will be AP4, which is backwards compatible for older engines, so that won't be an issue. But you definitely want to be diligent about that.
Don't use any additives unless out of necessity - if your fuel tank gels up, then you'll have to add something, but it shouldn't be something you do as routine. There are no "good" fuel additives, period. For every problem they correct, they tend to create more.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Make certain you don't lose your keys!!! I sold my 1982 380SL back in December and warned the new owners about the keys. M-B goes out of their way to make sure your car is difficult to steal. You'll have to go to the dealer with your registration and drivers license to PROVE you own the car. After that, you're the only person who can get keys to it. If a lock goes bad, don't bother going to the salvage yard unless the locks have the keys with them. You have to order new locks from M-B also so your key will work.

On the other hand, I loved my Benz, it just got to where I couldn't get in and out of it anymore. People assume that if you have a Mercedes, you have money. No, you HAD money. I sure got the gals with that car. Alas, it was a 2 seat roadster and they were always in pairs.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Beginning Member
T...K21 is on a distinguished road

Nice ride! Just be on the up and up on the maintenance and be willing to sport for parts and labor. German engineering comes with a PRICE TAG. Find and become good friends with a tech who specializes in Euro's.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Starting Member
blown262 is on a distinguished road

Its all good. My father in law is foreman for the local benz dealer, which is the connect to they guy I got the car from. And ULSD has not affected the 297k service life the car has currently lived. Parts are easy, labor is free, and the factory has fuel additives. I have some in my trunk right now. I use MB 15-40 synthetic, so im not worried about that. Nor am I worried about keys. For that matter, im not worried about anything. I don't see there being a problem going 500k+ as the engine is more or less perfect, the tranny flares a tiny bit under very light acceleration, the diff has been serviced, the spring perches have been welded and sealed, the interior is almost mint, brand new tires, and besides, its a million mile certified car. I am very picky with most things, and would never trade my beloved blazers for pretty much anything, unless the offer was too good, and this was. Repairs on this car, such as the belt, tensioner, battery, 1 injector and glow plugs were cheaper than my wifes nissan. Good to know people I can guarantee this car will outlast most cars on the road, seeing as it already has. I want that million mile certificate and emblem.