General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Blazer for first car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 04:26 PM
john9721 is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer for first car?

Hey guys, Im 16 and new on here. Im looking to buy my first car this summer but im on a pretty limited budget ($2800 or less) I am looking into the 1999-2005 Blazers and was wondering if thats a good first car? i need something with 4WD (Iowa winters) but don't want a 1990's gas sucking truck. An example of what I can get around here for the money is a 1999 Blazer V6, 4x4, clean title, 140K for $2495. Any input is appreciated. Thanks! BTW heres the link to the one I told you about http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ctd/3761546329.html

Last edited by john9721; 04-24-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point

As with any car/truck, you either get a good one or a bad one. If you get a bad blazer (and looking around the forum here you'll find a bunch) then it's going to suck the money right out of you. A good question that you need to answer is how much money are you going to have in the future to pay for fixing the vehicle you want? Blazers tend to be cheap to fix, but they also tend to have frequent maintenance. Remember, even a '99 Blazer is STILL ~14 years old at this point. If you can perform maintenance yourself then blazers are great because parts are cheap.

Not tryin to put you off from buying a blazer, but once you fall in love with one, it may well suck the money right of your wallet. Mine certainly does...

My blazer is my first vehicle, it has cost me around $500-$1000 per year to keep up with maintenance and slowly replace old worn out parts with new reliable ones. My girlfriend hates it... I love it.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:15 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Smile

MY veiwpoint dont get a blazer for a 1st car,Buy a motorcycle instead

Old 04-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
I'll second that... I plan on buying a bike this summer if my Jimmy doesn't keep emptying my wallet.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:38 PM
WitchingHour is an unknown quantity at this point

Which is fine if you live in Mississippi or Texas... Kinda leaves someone **** out when facing an Iowa Winter, though..
As for slick roads, a front wheel drive car could actually be a better option.

Last edited by WitchingHour; 04-25-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:51 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

I'm not sure it would be a good first car. They are cheap to buy, and repair, but they they get poor gas mileage, and with their age, need frequent maintenance. AWD car might be a good option.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:56 PM
Starting Member
grizzstang is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by john9721
Hey guys, Im 16 and new on here. Im looking to buy my first car this summer but im on a pretty limited budget ($2800 or less) I am looking into the 1999-2005 Blazers and was wondering if thats a good first car? i need something with 4WD (Iowa winters) but don't want a 1990's gas sucking truck. An example of what I can get around here for the money is a 1999 Blazer V6, 4x4, clean title, 140K for $2495. Any input is appreciated. Thanks! BTW heres the link to the one I told you about 1999 Chevy Blazer
You could do worse for a first car if 4WD is a must but be aware they are not cheap to run. You will need money for upkeep and fixing known issues that have not been dealt with by the previous owner (ie Lower Intake Manifold Gasket, 4 wheel drive system is finicky ). They are also not easy on fuel. It is a big V6 and a 4x4 so it is thirsty at the pump.

Last edited by grizzstang; 04-25-2013 at 03:59 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 04-25-2013, 04:00 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

sadly like others said a blazer isnt really a good first car,unless you are mechanically inclined enough to fix your own repairs. These are i wouldnt say high maintenance,but they do tend to pitch fits on a regular basis. lol.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:24 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

For Winter you put a side car on the bike with enduro tires.You`ll be able to ride all winter long.Theres guy in Minnisota that does it.I just read it or seen on the Tv the other day.The side cat adds stability and if you want you can carry an extra passenger for added traction.Seriesly get a saturn they are awesome veichles

Last edited by 1sttimejimmyowner; 04-25-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:06 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

For Winter you put a side car on the bike with enduro tires.You`ll be able to ride all winter long.Theres guy in Minnisota that does it.I just read it or seen on the Tv the other day.The side cat adds stability and if you want you can carry an extra passenger for added traction.Seriesly get a saturn they are awesome veichles
Um where? I call BS on this one. No way you get getting through 1-2 feet of snow on a motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Blazer for first car?