General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Which Blazer/Jimmy???? Need help deciding

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Starting Member
antman94 is on a distinguished road
Question Which Blazer/Jimmy???? Need help deciding

I took a look at about 8 blazers/jimmys today and I like about 3. I cant honestly cant decide between which ones I like the best. I have a $4000 budget since this is my first car. I need to find the best one for the price and one that will last a few years.

All The ones I looked at seemed as if they ran good. No lingering smoke. No strange noises. All 4x4. I just don't know which one I should go for.

Here what I have.

2001 GMC Jimmy

• 2 door
  • 133,000 miles
  • New tires
  • New battery
  • Power windows and locks
  • Needs new spare tire
  • Spare mounted on back of truck
  • Very clean interior
  • Quite a few scratches on outside
  • Red
  • 3 Month/4,500 Mile warranty
  • $3,300

1999 Chevrolet Blazer

• 2 door
  • Spare mounted on back of truck
  • Power windows and locks
  • 150,000 Miles
  • Fresh black paint (but who knows why it needed painting)
  • Clean Interior
  • New Battery
  • Needs Tires
  • Black
  • $2,495

2000 Chevrolet Blazer

• 4 door
  • 153,000 miles
  • Fresh tires
  • New Battery
  • Power Everything (windows, locks, mirrors, seats)
  • A few burn holes in seat
  • Paints acceptable
  • Black
  • $3995 (but didn't negotiate with him yet)
Those are the three I am stuck on, hopefully I can get a lot of responses recommending which one I should buy. Thank you in advance

Last edited by antman94; 12-11-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 10:40 PM
96Blazin is on a distinguished road

Go with the Jimmy..no brainer. It is newer than the Blazer...has less miles..new tires....is the upgraded version of the Blazer + has a warranty....and its 2 door! I cant say for sure without seeing it, but if it runs and looks good then I say thats the best option. $600 for alot better deal.

Last edited by 96Blazin; 12-11-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: p.s. Spare tires arent that expensive
Old 12-12-2010, 05:50 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for the response, that jimmy was so clean on the inside it really amazed me.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:39 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Jimmy, unless you have kids, etc and need a 4 door.
spare tires you can get for next to nothing,
a good detailing(cut polish/waxing) can usually get most of the s scratches out if they aren;t deep

Old 12-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Starting Member

awesome, I really wanted thst one but i wanted to get the best bang for my buck. I might as well enjoy what im driving too!

Old 12-12-2010, 10:30 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I tend to agree on the Jimmy, It is newer, and if the scratches are not deep you can get them out with a throrough detailing.

It has less mileage than the others, 3 month warranty, A spare tire can come from the wreckers IMO with no issue.

The burn holes in the seat of the 4dr are a complete turn off for me. I refuse to drive a vehicle that has been smoked in.

Have you talked the person down? Any chance on getting it for 3k even?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

I'd have to agree with everyone else, Jimmy FTW! Not just because I have one, but it does sound like the best deal other than the scratches. I've always kinda liked the 2 door a little bit better, but I love my 4 door also.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:18 AM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road

I would say the Jimmy. When you test drive it observe how hard it shifts or if it delays a lot between shifts. @ 133,000 it could need a tranny rebuild so consider that (unless it's a stick shift/ manual). Definitely the best choice out of those three.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:32 AM
Starting Member
Default Jiimmyyyyy

Thanks guys! Im gonna go test drive the jimmy tomorrow. The guy im trying to buy it from is a used car dealer and he had it priced on the lot for $3995. When we went inside and were talking to him about it he said $3300. With my inexperience in used car sales, I figured "wow $700 off, there no need to really negotiate." Then i got home that day and looked around some more online and saw that truck a few times with all different prices. One being $3395. So im definitely gonna offer $3000 cash.

If my moms home that day, im gonna bring her along and act like shes buying it for me so maybe they'll give a little old lady a break and give it to me for $2500

I also feel that if the truck has that warranty, even though its not a big one, that they have a little bit of confidence in the truck. Like I said im going to go see it Tuesday and and hopefully be picking it up soon after

Last edited by antman94; 12-13-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:15 AM
96Blazin is on a distinguished road

Good deal...like someone else said look out for hard shifts or even delay in shifting. But there is that warranty so if there is a problem you will know by three years.

Quick Reply: Which Blazer/Jimmy???? Need help deciding