General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Blazer question... will you help me out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:33 AM
dannyboy216 is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer question... will you help me out?

Hey guys I hope this finds you well,

As you may have noticed I am a new member, and I am currently seeking advice in regards to my 2000 Chevy Blazer. When I bought the car from a local used car dealership, the dealer had given me a special key; he said I would need this key to unlock the tires in order to remove them for routine maintenance. However it appears that I have lost the key and all search attempts have been unsuccessful.

When the time came for the car to have its regular repairs such as new brake pads and an alignment, I took the car into to a mechanic shop hoping they would such a key although they did not and had no ideas as to where to find one. Then I began look in stores and online, however nobody seems to know what I’m talking about.

If anyone has heard of such a key that is need to unlock tires off a 2000 Chevy Blazer, or knows where to find one please respond to this and help me out. Thank you very much.

Sincerely
Daniel

Old 12-08-2009, 10:44 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a previous owner installed locking lug nuts, but I have no idea about how to get a key that fits the lock. Perhaps a locksmith can help you.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:47 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Go see a locksmith? I don't know what else you could do... that really sucks, that's the reason I have the key for my receiver cover on my main key ring.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:24 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Locking wheel nuts were a great invention...that is unless you lose the key like you have. If Blazers had of come stock with locking wheel nuts then you could have just gone to a dealer to get one of the keys to remove them. Since they didn't come stock though chances are they are aftermarket added by the previous owner. There is really no way to find a key either.
I agree with the locksmith idea. Maybe they can pick it somehow for you.

BTW - Welcome to the forum from Canada. Sorry it couldnt be on better terms

Old 12-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Starting Member
86Blazer327 is an unknown quantity at this point

Post a picture of the lugnut in question. I dont think a locksmith will be able to do anything , cause if they are the way I think they are its not an actual 'key' that you need. Usually a special socket , and if you can match up what kind of locking lugnut it is at the parts store then presto- you got a key.

Also , GM did put locking lugnuts on some vehicles , my 99 WS6 T/A had them from the factory.

If all else fails you could use an OD EZ-out and get them off and scrap them.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Key'd lug nuts were often a dealer installed option.

Look through your whole truck for the key. My 2000 Bravada had dealer installed key'd lugs.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:31 PM
Starting Member
W2JGA is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this is what he may be talking about...

Try this site, they have different tools that might help you out.

Socket linky link

Old 12-08-2009, 04:15 PM
NewFirstGen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by W2JGA
I think this is what he may be talking about...

Try this site, they have different tools that might help you out.

Socket linky link
AAhhh Yes, I remember those, famous for rounding out the keyed groove, I had to beat a socket on with a mini sledge to get 4 of them off before, If you can't get a key, get ahold of a handheld grinder and grind down 2 deep flat spots, 180 degrees of each other. then use a very large crescent wrench. Hopefully yours arent recessed into holes in the rims. In which case you will have to go the socket and mallet route.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Starting Member
86Blazer327 is an unknown quantity at this point

Or like I already said, an OD style EZ out will take them off

Old 12-08-2009, 06:14 PM
rfgmctruck is on a distinguished road

Ebay "locking lugnut socket" to get an idea of what we are talking about it grabs the outside of the nut

Quick Reply: Blazer question... will you help me out?