General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Blazer vs. Snow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:18 AM
portojon24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blazer vs. Snow?

Hey, i just got a 98 blazer LS last month (4x4, 4.3L, etc.). I took it out in 4 on snowy roads for the first time this weekend, and was a little disturbed at how it was jerking around, even with 4 wheel drive on. All i'd do is touch a tiny bit of slush and the wheel would almost fly out of my hand right and left. Is this just how they handle, or could this be a sign that the ball joints or something else is starting to go? thanks

Old 12-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Starting Member
95Blzr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Blazer vs. Snow?

What kind of tires you have?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:37 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Id say youre tires as well. Or...do you have a sticky pedal? If youve got carbon buildup in the intake, you might be jerking the throttle to hard breaking traction in 4x4..

Old 12-01-2008, 02:48 PM

that's the thing. the tires are brand new hankook p235/75/15's that were put on when i bought it. There's a minorleak in the boot on the drivers side front axel which needs to be fixed, but i don't think that would cause that big of a problem.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:20 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

What kind of Hankooks? Not all tires will grip in snow/ice just because theyre new.

Also you might want to verify that the front wheels are actually turning in 4x4.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:35 PM

they say they're just radials. the 4x4 is definitely working, i got it stuck in some snow and was just spinning my back tires til i put it in 4 hi and just roared right out.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Starting Member
Kage0113 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's weird. I have a 96 and we got 6 inches of snow here in wyoming and I haven't had an issue yet. I cant even get mine to slide in 4hi, so I would check your tires. Is it just slush you're hitting when it does this? Or are you maybe hitting some ice?

Old 12-05-2008, 12:29 AM
vin791 is an unknown quantity at this point

radials arent exactly snow tires. and that leaky boot is a problem, but idk how bad it is because i haven't seen it. it seems like your tires are the isue most likely. idk what tires you have either, but typicaly "radials" are road tires. all radial means is they are one-directional

Old 12-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Beginning Member
zokalr13 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah,ive just tried my "new to me" 96 BLAZER in the snow recently and its way better than my previous 93 EXPLORER [that trucks crappy ABS would always lock up the front wheels on ice and slush giving me a mild coronary and swear id get rid of it][which i did]!! I have bald worn winter tires on my 96 BLAZERfor now-i aint buying new snow tires [due to global warming]not needed..its DEC and its still balmy around here so ill chance it..i find that the BLAZER works well in snow but if you push it-like romp it ,boot it,-it will slide all over the place [maybe due to my crappy snow tires!!!] so dont follow my advice-OK?- i havent even tried out my 4x4 system yet- im dying to try it this weekend[we are expectingsnow] be safe and have fun out there!!

Old 12-06-2008, 07:17 AM

i'll check with someone about the tires, but its not really sliding like it would if it was a traction problem (i drove a 94 camaro all through the winter here in michigan last year...that is sliding), it's a jerk in the front end to the right or left on snow and dry pavement. I know ball joints tend to be an issue in blazers so i'm wondering if those could cause that kind of problem?

Quick Reply: Blazer vs. Snow?