General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Blazers are CRAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Beginning Member
blazendizz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MTopper
Blazendizz, the one thing i've found about blazers in Metro Detroit is that they are such an easy fix for mechanics because everything is so accessible underneath and what not. Not to mention all our awesome junk yards that have trucks from the 70s-brand new in them. My favorite one to go to is Parts Galore on 8 mile and Hoover.. There is another one on warren & Livernois area that would have a ton of stuff for your year. Mine is too new.

THEY HAVE UP TO 1997 BUT DONT HAVE 1998S!!!! but they do have newer fords and chryslers hahaha
i've been told about parts galore so many times but haven't had time to go there i go to the one right down the street called taylor auto salvage its not to bad and there is also one right next to it and one right around the corner so i always find what im looking for iv seen some newer blazers lots of chevy and ford at taylor auto salvage

Old 03-12-2010, 09:41 PM
CodyN is on a distinguished road

I love my '98 Blazer 4x4 two door. That thing is amazing in the dirt. Went out with my buddies they all thought they had their badass hill climbers i would wait at the bottom of the hill and watch them have trouble getting up then i would drop it in first ( its a manual) and cruise up the hill. Great car till the engine spun a bearing ( im guessing im in the process of tearing it out) but it seems once they break their a pain in the *** everything is hard to get to and a pain to put back together. But it is a great car

Old 04-05-2010, 03:14 AM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

1st vehicle:
1988 Jeep Cherokee
-$3500
-180,000 miles when I bought it
- 4" lift on 31"s
-blew rear differential
-spun a crank bearing
-replaced the front piston
-replaced fuel pump
-replaced wheel bearings
-replaced all U-joints
-replaced timing chain
-sold for $900 trade-in (RUST)

2nd vehicle
2000 S-10 ex. cab 2wd
-$3000
-168,000 miles when I bought it
-sold (trade)

Sorry about the picture...it was the only one I could find lol. Yes, it is under water...it was actually higher at one point according to my wife. I changed all the fluids and drove it another year before selling it...not issues.

3rd vehicle
1995 Toyota 4Runner
-even trade for S-10
99,000 miles when I bought it
-31" tires
-blown head gasket
-replaced fuel pump
-AC compressor frozen
-needed CV axles replaced
-sold for $3200

4th vehicle
2002 Saab 9-3 SE turbo
-$7000
-98,000 miles when I bought it
-FAST
-brake master cylinder went out ($800 for the part only not including shipping from Sweden)
-sold for $3500 (GM dropped Saab)

5th vehicle
1995 4x4 Blazer 4-door
-$2800
-110,000 miles when I bought it
-replaced O2 sensors
-replaced ball joints
-replaced idler arm
-replaced idler air control valve (not needed)
-replaced fuel pressure regualtor
-replaced intake temperature sensor (not needed)
-replaced 1 U-joint

The wife's:
1995 4x4 Blazer 4-door
-$2500
-76,000 miles when I bought it
-replaced ball joints
-replaced idler arm

All of them mine at some point in time. I wouldn't trade my blazer(s) for anything. The only people who give me any flak about my blazer are:
#1 - Jeep owners
#2 - ZR2 owners (rarely and in good fun)
#3 - people who subscribe the the idea that newer is better

Old 04-05-2010, 04:30 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Nice rigs!
Who cares that some people think Blazers are crap? It's usually those who have never had one. LOL

I wouldn't trade mine. Unless of course an irresistable offer came up. LOL After all everything has a price!

By the way, the 4Runner is called the "Surf" here in NZ.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:41 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

Those were some amazing rides you have/had there blazin. I love my truck and wouldn't sell it unless I was handed the keys to a brand new GM truck or car. I love my truck and my familes cars.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:22 PM
TRX
Beginning Member
TRX is on a distinguished road

I been a Blazer fan since the K5 days. I love my 98 Blazer also. 97k miles and the only thing I had to replace was the water pump in '06. Been really reliable and part of my family really (all my kids have been brought home in it)...

The only flak I get is from my big truck loving friends, they tease me about getting a real truck, but its all in fun.

Of course we all are living in times where Tree Huggers believe we all should be running micro-cars that run on hamsters in wheels.

Last edited by TRX; 04-05-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:38 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kiwiblazer
Nice rigs!
By the way, the 4Runner is called the "Surf" here in NZ.
Learn something new everyday lol.

In my opinion, blazers (s-series trucks) are very hard to beat as an all-around package. They make very good gas mileage for their power / size. Parts are dirt cheap and abundant in salvage yards if need be. The actual vehicle is very inexpensive. The lack of after-market support can be annoying, but it just makes our trucks more unique. They do have their drawbacks, but for what I paid for mine, and the performance they produce, I've learned to deal with replacing idler arms every off-road trip haha.

Also, they are very easy to work on compared to my old Jeep or 4Runner....especially the 4Runner.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Banned
MuddBunny84 is on a distinguished road

i get crap for my truck not being the real thing daily too lol just helped put a 6 inch on an already 4 inch lifted ford ranger, and an additional 4 inches under a dodge pick up that already had 8 under it, bf's got his lil dakota slammed and his buddy who bought his chevy p/u is slamming it also...even the bf's friend's gf is putting 6 inches under her jeep she just bought...i just keep telling them if my bank account would and could support a 4inch lift on the blazer and likely repairs when some thing went wrong..i'd get it but i'm not exactly rollin in dough..so the day i am..look out cause she'll just barely be a road legal monster truck lol.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:22 PM
DaveO is on a distinguished road

My wife and others keep asking me "when are you gonna trade that thing in?" I keep telling them it's not going anywhere, it's paid off, and after my first 10 cars, my '96 2dr 2wd is one of the easiest I've had to work on. When anything goes bad, breaks, or stops working properly, I go get the part and the problem is usually fixed in the next day or 2. I'll drive it until it can't be fixed anymore and then I'll strip what I can use on another one, which by that time probably won't be a whole lot. I plan on keeping my Blazer going for a long, long time.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

My '96 will probably be sold by this weekend. It's got over 203,000 miles on it, but someone still wants to give me $1,500 for it. IMO, that says a lot. There is no doubt in my mind that it has another 100K miles in it before it needs any engine or transmission work.

BUT - I love my Silverado more. It might not get through the mud quite as well as the Blazer did (though I haven't yet tested that theory), but I'm very happy I bought it.

Quick Reply: Blazers are CRAP!!