General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Bought yet another Blazer!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 07:22 PM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road
Default Bought yet another Blazer!

And here she is. 98 4 door Blazer LT. 2wd, auto. Has all the usual issues i.e. door sag, busted door pulls, CEL, but worth the $800 I paid 😁

Old 07-20-2020, 03:54 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

LOL, getting yourself a collection...

Old 07-20-2020, 04:27 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Hey... atleast it goes with his name! Other then it's a 98 lol... looks good tho, and cant go wrong for the price..

Old 07-20-2020, 04:32 AM

The one in the background is my parts vehicle. I actually sold the green 2 door about 6 months ago. Much happier with this one because of the extra doors and the shift being on the column.
I've already ordered some basic maintenance items and a few odds and ends.
Items up for repair are:
Front door hinges/bushings
Front door panels/pulls
Instrument panel needs replaced
Sqeaky rear glass
Replace passenger front window motor
Figure out why power mirrors don't work
And then get busy with customization. The thing has an aftermarket cassette player(!). There's not even a name brand on it. At least it was cleanly installed lol. Will post more pics soon.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:26 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Well, it is not like you will have to learn all new tricks for your repairs when you keep buying Blazers!

Old 07-21-2020, 03:03 AM

Ok so some opinions about where to go from here.
First item is the grill mounted factory fog lights. I'm considering relocating them to the available slots in the lower valance so I can put LED turn signals in. Anyone done this?
Second item is the engine. It's got just over 300k on the clock and it runs well. Good oil pressure and a smooth idle with no noises or smoke. So I'm considering doing the LIM gasket and a fresh timing set, along with a new distributor. Or would you just keep doing basic maintenance and hope for the best? It's an $800 vehicle so I'm not afraid to put a little in it for the sake of extending its life. Have yourselves a drink and think on it. 😁

Old 07-21-2020, 10:43 AM
MacroMachine is on a distinguished road

I know how it feels. I see some for sale in good condition or easily repairable but I remind myself that I have mine already. I kind of want an Extreme Blazer or a first gen S10 to drop an LS into it.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:23 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

I wouldnt open the engine unless you have to IMO. Regular maintenance should be good. Maybe pull the valve covers, that should give you a sign of any abuse, plus they are easier to clean and put back together lol.

Edit: got lost in thought... if your going as far as the timing, then I would do fresh gaskets all the way, minus the heads. It's not that expensive for all of them, and at 300k, there will be play... the 290k km engine I just got had a good amount of play in it, now a shes solid.

Last edited by DonL; 07-21-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2020, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by DonL
I wouldnt open the engine unless you have to IMO. Regular maintenance should be good. Maybe pull the valve covers, that should give you a sign of any abuse, plus they are easier to clean and put back together lol.

Edit: got lost in thought... if your going as far as the timing, then I would do fresh gaskets all the way, minus the heads. It's not that expensive for all of them, and at 300k, there will be play... the 290k km engine I just got had a good amount of play in it, now a shes solid.
this was my thinking as well. If it's got a good core, may as well go ahead and do all the other stuff and just plan on hanging on to it for a good while.

Old 07-24-2020, 04:29 PM

Grill I picked up is not quite a match.

Thinking about deleting the moulding or maybe just paint to match.

Rocking the Alpine cassette player.

Odometer doesn't work

A few cracks

Quick Reply: Bought yet another Blazer!