General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Break Pads/Roters

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Starting Member
ExplicitYourSelf is on a distinguished road
Default Break Pads/Roters

Car: 2001 Chevy blazer 4 door, 2wd

Front breaks are starting to squeak, time for service... I’m planning to buy some ceramic brake pads, but im not sure what brand to go with. I would like to know if you guys know of some good reputable brands that I can go with. The last time that I serviced my brake pads I had the rotors re-surfaced. Will I have to do this again or...? I was also thinking of upgrading my rotors to some brembo slotted rotors or some brembo drilled & slotted. But I’m not sure if it’s a great idea since I don't know the pros & cons. What’s your opinion, feedback is appreciated.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:17 AM
Starting Member
ExplicitYourSelf is on a distinguished road

raybestos ceramic break pads, any good? they sell these at kragen auto parts

Old 10-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ExplicitYourSelf
raybestos ceramic break pads, any good? they sell these at kragen auto parts
Thats what I have always used. Quiet, low on brake dust. Never had a problem.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:54 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Unlimitedsp
Thats what I have always used. Quiet, low on brake dust. Never had a problem.
X2 on the Raybestos. i've only used their products on everything i've ever owned or serviced (for family & friends).

the slotted & cross drilled rotors are amazing, i have a set on my 'Burb. when i bought my Blazer last year, they were on back order, and i had to do the brakes for certification (needed the truck for Christmas), so i just bought their to line rotors instead. they still work amazing (this is the first 4 wheel disc vehicle i've owned), and will even lock up the rear tires if i get on them hard.

IMO, i'd stay away from the Wagner brake pads, they're garbage. i put a set on the rear of my stepfather's Lumina (he bought them on a promotion, so i couldn't argue), and 10 months later i had to replace them, and the new rotors i had put on @ the same time-they had gone right down to the backing plate, and chewed the s**t outta the rotors.
now, i konw some of you are gonna say it was the driver, but this is a guy who doesn't speed, doesn't ride his brakes or brake hard-the type of guy you just dread getting behind on a two lane road, with a solid yellow that goes on for miles and miles.
PLUS, when i returned them, they had a pile behind the counter that was 6' high, and over 8' long (was out past the parts counter), from people who had the same issue of extreme premature wearing. needless to say, they did nothing but replace the pads, even though the bill clearly showed that new rotors were bought for the car @ the same time. this is why io only but parts through my parts supplier, i never have an issue with warrenty, or returns (and now my mother & stepfather understand why i've dealt with them for the last 17 years).

ok, i think i've chewed your ear enough, do you feel better informed now, or is your head still spinning from my little rant? hahahaha!