General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Brush guard good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Bwalls is on a distinguished road
Default Brush guard good idea?

Hey guys,

I live in a heavily deer-infested area in North Carolina. My Blazer has 250k on it, and I want to put a brush guard on it to decrease the chances of it being totaled if I were to hit a deer (or another car). I'll also put some lights on it also. Everybody knows these lights aren't that great.

I found this on Ebay, and it looks pretty popular. "Hunter Truck Accessories"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-04-Chevy-S-10-Blazer-S-Jimmy-Grill-Guard-Brush-S10-/251074820712?fits=Make:Chevrolet|Model:Blazer&hash =item3a7539ba68&item=251074820712&pt=Motors_Car_Tr uck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Do you or do you guys know of anybody who has one like this? I want to make sure it's worth it.

Looks pretty good on this one in my opinion.
Name:  NewLightsOnMyTruck.jpg
Views: 7267
Size:  199.4 KB

Old 07-29-2012, 09:40 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

I've seen a few guys with a undermounted brush guard instead of the frame mount. I have a frame mount and also mine is a 95-97 style. I'll try to get you a member's pic of that style. Give me just a sec. Btw, I've always liked the look of a brushguard or grille guard on a truck/suv. Definitely more aggressive than stock and functional as well!

And yeah, I know what you mean about deer. You must live in Davie county or heck even out near East Bend. I know those areas are country roads with a lot of potential for you to hit an animal (not on purpose of course).

Edit: Actually quite a few people have that same brushguard you reference in your original post.

Here is a thread to reference: BrushGuard

Another pic of said brushguard

Last edited by tibby; 07-29-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:50 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Probably wouldn't help a ton when hitting a deer. If you're lucky it would maybe stop the deer from going through and wrecking the radiator and other engine components.

More than likely it would just be another thing that would need to be replaced afterwords. But hey, they look cool. That alone might be worth getting it, and if it does help then great!

Old 07-30-2012, 09:10 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

I don't think brush guards stop all that much damage, but they help

Old 07-30-2012, 05:16 PM
Starting Member
nunya is on a distinguished road

Driving a wrecker for a living I see brush guards cause damage that wouldn't have existed if the vehicle were without or had a hefty wincher style bumper and a solid/rigid hoop. That being said, my wife want's the pictured style (with the extra little cosmetic bar on the top) brushguard for the Blazer...

Old 07-30-2012, 07:50 PM
Starting Member
closer is on a distinguished road

I have the full brushguard from EBAY on mine. If I hit a deer, I'd have to say it will probably be toast. LOL! The upper support is kinda flimsy, and my lower brackets mount from the bumper mounts. If it was all welded together it would make a huge improvement.
Best piece of advise I can give.... Aim for the deer! It works for me. I put it to the floor every time and chase them and the little boogers get away.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by RangerG
Probably wouldn't help a ton when hitting a deer. If you're lucky it would maybe stop the deer from going through and wrecking the radiator and other engine components.

More than likely it would just be another thing that would need to be replaced afterwords. But hey, they look cool. That alone might be worth getting it, and if it does help then great!
Hmm, you think so? Either way, I could live with the guard being toast and maybe my grille if it meant that my truck wouldn't be totaled. I'm not looking for complete security, I just want to make this baby last until i get out of college. I just replaced the intake gaskets and did a entire tune up a few weeks ago.

Anyway, they do look sick. especially on yours.

Originally Posted by tibby
I've seen a few guys with a undermounted brush guard instead of the frame mount. I have a frame mount and also mine is a 95-97 style. I'll try to get you a member's pic of that style. Give me just a sec. Btw, I've always liked the look of a brushguard or grille guard on a truck/suv. Definitely more aggressive than stock and functional as well!

And yeah, I know what you mean about deer. You must live in Davie county or heck even out near East Bend. I know those areas are country roads with a lot of potential for you to hit an animal (not on purpose of course).

Edit: Actually quite a few people have that same brushguard you reference in your original post.

Here is a thread to reference: BrushGuard

Another pic of said brushguard
I live in Orange County, it's bad here, but I don't understand why. Everyone around here is a hunter.

Originally Posted by nunya
Driving a wrecker for a living I see brush guards cause damage that wouldn't have existed if the vehicle were without or had a hefty wincher style bumper and a solid/rigid hoop. That being said, my wife want's the pictured style (with the extra little cosmetic bar on the top) brushguard for the Blazer...
How so? Maybe the guard caving in?

Thanks for your replies dudes!

Old 07-31-2012, 12:51 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

But the best chance of you hitting a deer and the guard withstanding it is probably an all frame mounted brushguard that has been welded together. (aka, a custom made one for the most part.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:22 PM
Starting Member
nunya is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bwalls
How so? Maybe the guard caving in?
Headlight hoops buckling into fenders/busting lenses from 'just' getting caught where ther would have been 0 contact before, lower hits on a support/main bar that would have been bumper only damage creasing back bending front tin and destroying plastic and lenses. Stuff along that line. Like I said though, I have to locate one for mine so the Mrs is happy (unless I get a bunch of steel and build something before finding one) so I'm not against them (and agree, they look cool and serve as good light mounts) I just wouldn't depend on one as a super front end protector, more an intimidator for the general public

Old 07-31-2012, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by nunya
Headlight hoops buckling into fenders/busting lenses from 'just' getting caught where ther would have been 0 contact before, lower hits on a support/main bar that would have been bumper only damage creasing back bending front tin and destroying plastic and lenses. Stuff along that line. Like I said though, I have to locate one for mine so the Mrs is happy (unless I get a bunch of steel and build something before finding one) so I'm not against them (and agree, they look cool and serve as good light mounts) I just wouldn't depend on one as a super front end protector, more an intimidator for the general public
Good point, thank you sir!